I met my former boss and his wide on the street the other day, and I was shocked to learn that he has parkinson's disease now! He was telling me that he is receiving medication and that he still feels quite well now, all things considered. I am wondering what the life expectancy is for people with parkinson's disease?

Well, the life expectancy for people with parkinson's disease is indeed somewhat lower than the life expectancy for people who do not have parkinson's disease. But it is the complications of parkinson's disease, such as pneumonia, that are generally life threatening and not parkinson's disease itself. Most parkinson's disease patients can continue to live a long life.

Hello there,

It is nice to hear that there are some people who still care about the others. Most of the people would probably just pass by their former boss and not to mention that they wouldn’t even remember the name of the condition he is suffering from

And you are also interested to find out the details about Parkinson’s disease so you can be informed when you see him next time.

Well, fortunately this disease doesn’t have severe symptoms in the beginning and patients are usually responding well to the medications. It is not that you should be worried because of the Parkinson’s disease but sometimes side effects can be really nasty. Life expectancy is a little bit shorter than a normal human life.

This is an interesting post. I was recently diagnosed with PD by a neurologist and I actually took it pretty well. Family and friends have been really odd about it. My wife has been a ROCK and I know she will see me through this to the end. Friends and kids are different. Since we announced it to the family, the only one we see is our grandson Ben and he simply asked Grammy if I would ever forget him? He is almost 6 now. We re reassured him to live in the moment...... My oldest seems to be afraid to bring our granddaughter over to visit. Makes me sad. Feels like I caught the measles or something. Meds seem to make a difference. Thy are helping. Gary