Ok, I am a 17 years old male. I've been smoking for 2 and a half years, 5 cigarettes a day and recently I quit. However, sometime before quitting, my throat was red and i was coughing for about 3 or 4 weeks now and an internist told me to use a spray on propolis basis, but it didn't help. After quitting I was reading about the cough and I came across an information that read that persisting cough is a lung cancer symptom. 2 days ago I got a chest pain that occurs while exhaling which is also a lung cancer symptom. What are the chances I have lung cancer and is the chest pain a symptom or I got it because of the thought i have cancer (vagus nerve, which also causes chest pain)?

Qwsaa,

It's unlikely to be cancer.  You haven't been smoking that long or that heavily. 

More likely it is because the cilia, little hairs in your lungs, are working to clear of all the junk out of your lungs.  Basically, your lungs are getting better and it can cause coughing.

Don't read to much into the internet.  There is a lot of misinformation out there.  You are not indicating any of the major symptoms that would suggest to me that you do have lung cancer.

I forgot to mention that as a kid I had some allergies and my parents took me to do a Spirometry and I was taking inhaling meds for some time. Also, today I started having some breathing problems which I would describe as the lungs are with low capacity or something, even though the chest pain is nearly gone after taking Diazepam and B6. Is that bad?

medic-dan, please tell me if this is has something to do with the allergies I had back in the childhood.

Hi Quwsaa,

It very well might be an allergy.

I'm not sure where you live but the warm spring in parts of the US has led to a lot of pollen and other allergens lately.

medic-dan, so you say I can exclude lung cancer as a cause of these symptoms, knowing my age, how long had I smoked and how much cigarettes a day? This is the most important question I want an answer for because since I read about the cancer symptoms on the net I've been so scared and moody... And another thing, I don't live in the States, I'm from Macedonia (Europe) and here the temperature is about 24 degrees Celsius which could've led to pollen, but I don't understand why now, after all these years.

Thanks a lot

And another thing, I was exposed to second hand smoking until age of 6 or 7, when my dad quit. Please answer me after having this on mind, I am dead worried about my life as the chest pain occured again today, but this time only after taking a deep breath.

R u ok now?

There are a variety of symptoms of lung cancer, including difficulty breathing, coughing up blood, chest pain, loss of appetite, weight loss and general fatigue. Some lung cancers do not cause any noticeable symptoms until they are quite advanced and have spread to other parts of the body.