I am an adult of over 40, I have allergies: animal and hayfever. Maybe allergies to dust and cleaners. I am prone to get upper respitory problems. Recently I feel I may have asmtha. Just doing everyday things I've noticed my breathing has been raspy, faster and harder to slow down. I am looking forward to any information you may have. Thank you

Well, you could have developed an asthma considering you have problems with allergies. About 80% of asthmatics are allergic to something. It is these allergens that are main causes of inflammation and hyper-responsiveness of the airways. The most common allergens are animal secretions, house dust mites, molds and pollen. Being exposed to these triggers is what causes instant reactions like wheezing and coughing. However, animal secretions cause late response and it may be hard for a physician to determine what the trigger was.
Asthmatic attack is usually sudden and characterized by shortness of breath and wheezing sound. A person may experience coughing and excessive sputum as well. They may have a feeling of tightness in chest.
SO, the most common signs of an asthmatic episode are: rapid breathing, wheezing, fast heart beat, prolonged expiration, chest pain, etc. Between attacks people feel normal.
If you go and see a doctor, they will want to hear your medical and family history of asthma, allergies, hay fever, eczema, etc. They will perform a physical exam, which includes listening to your lungs and examining nasal passages, perform a chest X-rays, order a blood test, do an allergy test, perform a spirometry in which they will measure the amount and rate at which air can pass through airways; if the airways are narrowed, etc