Hi. I have a shortness of breath and my doctor has told me that I should take a spirometry test. I`ve never heard for such test. So, is there anybody who could tell me more about it? What are the normal spirometry results? How should I prepare for the test? Is there some sort of a risk involved?

Hi. I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis, after taking the spirometry test. Spirometry is frequently performed test of a lung function. There is a device called spirometer which measures how well the respiratory system is able to move air and how much air the lungs can hold. Normal test results are based on your age, height, and gender and they include tidal volume (5 to 7 mm/kg of body weight), expiratory reserve volume (25% of vital capacity), inspiratory capacity (75% of vital capacity) and forced expiratory volume (75% of vital capacity after one second, 94% after two and 97% after three). The risk of taking the spirometry test is minimal. It shouldn`t be done if a person suffers from chest pains or has a serious heart disease. Before the spirometry test, you mustn`t eat a heavy meal. Refrain from smoking (6 hours before the test). You will also have to empty your bladder, right before the test.