My stepson was diagnosed with bronchitis and the doctor said the antibiotics that he was on wasn't strong enough to help him. The doc also said that it is possible for my stepson to develop walking pneumonia. I don't think my stepson needs to be coming over to our house until he is better because we have a one year old. Mu husband thinks his son wont spread his illness to our one year old. How do I know if my stepson is still contagious or not and should he stay with his mother until he is better? I need help.

I was diagnosed with bronchtis today and asked my doctor a similar question. He told me that I am not highly contagious (it's not airborne) so that I should wash my hands frequently, don't share beverages and foods, avoid kissing etc. He also said that I should only be contagious for 3-5 days. Hope this helps.

Does that mean you can kiss and serve drinks after no longer being contagious?

You should know that Acute Bronchitis is Contagious. It means you are contagious as long your acute bronchitis lasts. Acute bronchitis often develops three or four days after a person is infected by cold and flu viruses, usually during the changing of seasons. It starts as a dry cough and in successive days bring up mucus in the nasal pathways, known as bronchial tubes due to inflammation and immune response of the body. The inner lining of the airways swell and grow thicker and narrower and can last for a few weeks to a few months, depending on how your immune system responds to the infection. In most cases the person is brought down with a fever. The three main symptoms of bronchitis are coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. Some other symptoms include fatigue, nausea, tightness of chest, tiredness and coughing up blood. Acute bronchitis is most case is caused by viruses and in only rare cases is caused by bacteria. Bronchitis can also be caused by chemical irritants, smoke, smog and fumes and lasts only as long as the person is exposed to these lung irritants. Allergens are pollen, grain dust, fabric fibers and animal hairs can also cause the symptoms of bronchitis by contracting the bronchial tubes, making the person vulnerable to infections and producing mucus as an immune response. In this case the symptoms of bronchitis will persist in the throat until exposure to the allergens ends. As smoking can cause acute bronchitis they have a hard time recovering if they show symptoms of the illness. The harmful chemicals in the smoke cover the bronchial tubes which initiate the body to produce mucus as a response to the irritants and results in a cough characteristic to smokers known as smoker’s cough. If the smoker does not stop smoking, it can develop into chronic bronchitis, lung damage and infections. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use