Hi, my sister is coughing for last two weeks. Yesterday she finally decided to visit her doctor who examined her and told her she is suffering from allergic bronchitis. I didn't know that bronchitis may be caused by allergy. I would like to know something more about this type of bronchitis.

Hi, I am also suffering from allergic bronchitis so I will tell you what I know about it. Bronchitis is inflammation of air tubes and in this case is caused by allergens. These allergens irritate mucosa in the airways and may cause inflammation. If this condition lasts for long period of time it may cause asthma. Best treatment for this kind of bronchitis is to use medications for allergy like antihistamines.

Hello there lauritz,

Your sister is going to recover if she follows the doctor’s instructions carefully. Sometimes this condition, allergic bronchitis, can lead to asthma and that is incurable.  

Also, if she has figured out what is triggering her allergy than she should avoid it as much as she can (for example dust is very hard to avoid but there are some prevention measures which can be applied). Also if she doesn’t get better in a few weeks than she definitely needs to revisit her doctor’s office.

There is more to it when bronchitis gets complicated, and I believe that she doesn’t want to see that scenario. I hope that she will recover and that she will avoid all the complications.