My daughter who used meth for about 3 years is clean 4 months. I know there are effects that take a long time but I just wonder if anyone dcan help me identify her "sluggish" behavior. Basically, this is a very bright and motivated woman (29 yrs. old) who just can't seem to make a decision and carry out what I think are simple things. She puts everything off til the very last moment and then defend this behavior like it's no big deal. "looking for a job" to her entails getting out there at noon, going to one contact and then calling that a day. This is NOT the person we all used to know. Anyone else feel this frustration? Although she is physically looking better every day, she still just never looks sharp, clear, together. Those of us who love her tell her she probably really needs to see someone, a counselor, she says yes, she knows that, but does nothing. What medically is the problem with this behavior if someone out there has seen similar behavior in a loved one. I try to be patient but it is so bizarre.

My daughter also was a meth user. She has been clean for a year and a half. We are still dealing with her mental state even after that long. She has been in counseling and always appears to take it all in, but you never see the results because she can't follow through. She has put herself in an unhealthy relationship (verbally) and it seems she thinks she deserves this. She has uncontrollable rages (over nothing). She is taking something (Dr. prescribed) to control her anger, but the doctor said that it could take years because her body is damaged from the drugs and has to heal itself. We will probably never see the girl that we used to know. We still see her heart sometimes and that is what you have to hang on to. Have patience and love her. It takes alot out of a family not just the user. I don't know that we will ever fully trust her in any situation. I only hope the best for you and your daughter. God Bless!

I used meth from the age of 17 - 21 yrs. I had access to large amounts and it really damaged me. I am now 5yrs clean, successfull but still emotionally numb and unhappy.

Now to answer your question - I was a very outgoing, motivated young man. I got along with everyone, I was a top sports person, musician, and always made good grades. Even after leaving school and during early stages of using meth it seemed I was going to be very successful. Long story short - the meths got ahold of me and ruined me.

Your daugher may seem 'sluggish' and not herself because meths releases large amounts of dopamine and serotonin. Our body produces these chemicals naturally, and in short these chemicals motivate us and make us happy. Unfortunatley meths also kills the cells that produce these chemicals PERMANANTLY. The hard truth is that a heavy meth user is never going to be the same again. We will never be as happy again. We will never be as motivated again and we are probably destined for a life of lesser quality than somone that has never used. Although I may sound negative I have researched this and am passing on the facts (maybe you should research to better understand what your daughter may be going through) But still.... I like to believe anything as possible and strive to better myself every day. I wish you and your daughter all the best!!!

i used meth for eight years im thirty years old and sometimes i get lazy and stuff. but i try to get over it. all you need to do is give it to God. and everything else will work it self out. theres no need to feel numb or anything. you need to take control or your life. and take back what the devil has stole from you. take all those years back. and as for the ppl who have children who where on drugs just stick through it and love them. because we don't want to be drug addicts. talk about it with them.. and help them get through it.

I am so glad to see that we are not the only ones with this problem. My son has been a meth user for about 4 years. He is off now, but my husband and I are going through the same thing. No motivation. Can't seem to do anything to get a job. He says he wants a job but doen't know how to get one. He is a college graduate and was extremely motivated at one time. We just keep waiting to get our son back. Sounds like it might not ever happen. That is really sad because it was the nicest sweetest person in the world before his addiction.