What are speed bumps with regards to Meth. Any information out there? I have a friend that is getting them and she said she didn't do the meth but her boyfriend did and in can be transfered through physical contact. Now they are coming out because she is no longer around him. Is this right? Can the meht be transfered through the skin? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure if you're talking about something also referred to as meth mites, so I don't know if this will help. "Meth mites" is a term that refers to the obsessive itching and picking of the skin, creating red, irritated, blotchy, and sometimes bloody sores. I don't know too much about it but I do know it is a side effect seen directly in USERS, not a contagious symptom that can be transmitted, and experienced by active meth users. They do not actually have "mites", but meth causes dry, itchy skin and users develop an obsessive, psychological need to pick. These sores may cover their entire body. I don't know much more about the condition but could do a google search for "meth mites" that may be helpful. My friend had a problem with meth and developed this all over his face and arms. He eventually got into some trouble with the law which got him arrested and he served some time in jail. Luckily however, this was enough to get him to realize what he was doing to himself and quit. He is currently 2 years sober and counting. It is hard to see the negative effects this addiction can do to someone you care about and the damage it does to their health.
Sorry if this is not what you are seeing with your friend. Could you please describe what you are seeing and the symptoms of what she is calling "speed bumps"?
If you find out that your friend is using this drug, many resources are available on the web for how to help get her to quit. Good luck.

***this post is edited by moderator *** ***explicit and graphic content*** Please read our Terms of Use

What can you do to help a friend who is using meth?
Be a real friend. You might even save a life. Encourage your friend to stop or seek professional help. For information and referrals, call the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information at 800-729-6686.

The bottom line
If you know someone who uses meth, urge him or her to stop or get help. If you use meth—stop! The longer you ignore the real facts, the more chances you take with your life. It's never too late. Talk to your parents, a doctor, a counselor, a teacher, or another adult you trust.

PS: Knowledge is Power. Research and learn more about the drug, and help educate others. I truly hope your friend is not on meth, but someone reading this may know someone who is. My advice? Just be a friend. Don't push, encourage. Don't get angry, get smart. And whatever you do, don't give up.

THE FOLLOWING IS COPIED INFORMATION I THOUGHT MAY BE HELPFUL. ARTICLE CAN BE FOUND AT:

Formication; aka, speed bumps, meth sores, crank bugs

Anonymous -
One of the many side effects of crystal meth addiction is formication, aka, speed bumps, meth sores, crank bugs.
Heavy stimulant use causes a rise in body temperature and increased blood flow to the skin to counteract it.
The produced sweat contains an enzyme that increases blood flow to the skin even more.
When the sweat evaporates, it removes the protective sebaceous oil which coats the skin.
The combined effects of dehydration, sweating and removal of the sebaceous oil on the skin create a sensation on the nerve endings on the skin and cause the addict feelings of something irritating or "crawling" on or under (parasitosis) the skin. Also to be mentioned here is that the skin is an escape route for the toxic wastes used to create the drug.
The psycholocical aspects of this drug complicate the situation even more by causing the user to tweak out and obsessively pick, scrape and dig at their skin.
This action, is generally performed with the fingernails (staph havens) but can also be performed with any number of chosen "tools" which could be any object found in an ordinary home that could be used for picking or scraping.
The results are penetration and removal of the dermis, causing open, red (often bleeding) sores, most commonly on the face and arms but can be anywhere on the body. This provides a potential breeding ground for staph infection.
In the presence of staph infection, the sores become enflamed, swollen and puss filled, requiring topical/systemic antiB's. If left untreated, pathogens can enter the blood stream causing dangerous sepsis or deeper abscess requiring heavy duty, IV antiB's and/or surgical drainage.
Old scars from formication are PERMANENT and look rather like those produced following a severe case of chicken pox.
The degree to which new sores present themselves is proportionate to the length of time spent performing the action of formication following most recent use.
In a non-using state, my daughter's face, arms and upper torso will be almost totally clear with the exception of heavy, previous scarring. However, within 24 hours of using, she ALWAYS presents with severe formication. I have witnessed this pattern over a three year period of time and, for me, it has become reliable evidence of very recent use.
Alz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Dictionary - Formication:

An abnormal sensation as of insects running over or into the skin, associated with cocaine intoxication or disease of the spinal cord and peripheral nerves.

n : hallucinated sensation that insects or snakes are crawling over the skin; a common side-effect of extensive use of cocaine or amphetamines

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

If you are talking about what looks somewhat liek pimples on her skin...with little puss caps on them-- it can be the chemicals that are used to make meth actually seeping out of her skin. gross stuff.. and yes you can get these chemicals through having sex with someone.

through sex, are you kidding? what the heck? NO, you can't! NOTHING about drugs or drug use is contagious in any way, shape, or form! that is ridiculous that anyone would actually believe that, let alone go around telling other people that it's true. don't give people false information. that's how stupid rumors start, like "if you do acid more than 10 times you go legally insane!" that is the lamest myth ever and yet, so many people believe it entirely.

the only way you can get side effects from drugs is by doing them yourself!

heyy your the one that asked. you shouldnt flip out on someone, because you asked a question and they answered and you didnt like it.
Their information may be wrong i dont know but all im sayin is you dont have to spas out just because you didn't like the answer.

just feels like the easiest answer is the best.

meth makes the user hot and sweaty.

when the sweat pores out of the skin and remains there, the nasty, caustic chemicals used to make meth like nail polish remover and other junk irritate the skin and cause itching.

the meth user is always active and wants to accomplish something like vacuum his or her room so he or she develops sort of like obssessive compulsion disorder and constantly scratches their skin, making the sores worse.

cos they're meth users they don't apply neosporin and the sores get infected and look horrific.

Ugh this is rdiculous.. ok meth doesn't make everyone hot and sweaty i that's actually with very few people I would know.. and neosporin is beast I use it.
But anyway your friend didn't get meth bumps from her boyfriend she got them from doing meth with her boyfriend she lied to you prolly so you don't think less of her many people hide try to hiide it from their friends -_-

I'm afraid all this information is wrong. It's very possible that she has not been using speed (although just as plausible that she has, that for you to judge). However, it's perfectly feasible that her boyfriend got a staph infection (impetigo) through picking at the skin weakened by the phet. Impetigo is highly contagious. It's concerning that this site is a main Google resource on speed bumps and the information is completely wrong.

Have u ever used meth emily? Well I'm speaking from experience and yes

When u use meth Ur body temp rises there for u sweat and some of the chemicals in the dope come out in Ur sweat but as far as gitting speed bumps with out doing the dope......not likely unless she has been chillin in a meth lab

I have been abusing meth the past year. A few days ago I started to pick at some ingrown hairs after shaving and now my face is torn up and ozzing puss and blood. My face is swollen and has sores so deep the q-tip fits inside a pocket. What can I use to help my face heal. It is so swollen that I can't open my mouth, and I have used a seam ripper, tweezers and razor to try and get the infection out. I am scared to go to the hospital and show them my face it is so bad, but if I don't could I die from poisoning? What can I use to make the sores go away? I have not used today, and am taking an anti-biotic named cippirro. What about a baking soda paste or peroxide to keep it clean? Should I bandage it up or let it air dry? Please help me!!!

hello ....the only way to get these so called speed bumps is by using yourself. u dont get them having sex. sounds to me like herpes or someother std, bottom line is ... USE METH.? U PICK ,U SEE THINGS, U HEAR THINGS, U GET UGLY , EVENTUALLY U DIE!!!

Go to an ER and let them help you, Sweetie. We don't judge. They'll clean out your wounds, and give you an antibiotic. Your wounds may need to be incised and drained. If you're doing this at home with unsterilized tools, you may be making it worse, opening yourself up to infection and creating permanent scars. You'll continue to have skin problems and dangerous infections if you keep doing the meth. When you're ready for help...it's out there.

So turns out these crazy looking non painful non itchy hives i just posted about 20 min ago are already gone, i did some research. Thank god it was just measly hypothermia.

Go to the hospital. Your health is more important than whatever you may have to deal with while there. Trust me, I have too many ugly scars from my meth use. Even over 5 years cleean, the scars are always there reminding you of what you did.
Nothing you can do at home to your face will help, only make the infection worse. Stop messing with it and get your ass to the hospital.
Lots of prayers for you,
Bridget