I just found out that my daughter-in-law is breastfeeding while using crystal meth.  We took the baby to the Dr. today and at 1 yr. she only weighs 14 lbs. We now have CPS involved.  Just wondering what effect both short term and long term on the baby.  She is clearly not developing like a normal 1 year old.

Definitely not developing at a regular pace, she should have at least 7 more pounds and even that would be a lower limit. So, it's obvious that drug has done damage. And it's hard to say what kind of long term effect will it have because it very much depend on both how much of meth did she take and how often and on the steps that anyone who takes care for the baby in the future will have to follow. Children do have a great recovery possibilities if they are given a chance - even a chance for this child to bond and have affection from someone other than a probably drugged up and distant mother. Does the child react to other people, like with smiling or in some other way?

I'm sure there are very harmful effects of using meth while breastfeeding, including brain damage, nervous system disorders, malnutrition, liver/organ damage, social-emotional disorders, etc. Also, a mother who is using meth will not be able to care for a child in the same way as a mother who is clean so there will be damage to the child from neglect, and also disruption of routines, and sparactic or scarse eating habits, etc. This whole situation is so sad, and more-so because it was easily preventable. WIC gives free baby formula during the first year of life for families who's income qualifies. It seems that your sister-in-law has a major addiction problem and is very selfish. Luckily nothing more serious happened to the baby- a woman in California has been charged with murder after her baby died from ingesting meth through breast milk. I think CPS getting involved is a great thing, this child's life can be saved from further damage or even death. Anybody who claims using meth (or any other harmful drug) while pregnant and/or breastfeeding isn't extremely harmful and damaging and even fatal to a baby is in serious denial. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.