My father had the blood test results yesterday and it showed elevated liver enzymes. I am curious now what do elevated liver enzymes indicate? He has lost a lot of weight lately and was constantly complaining over the right upper abdominal pain. Than the physical exam showed there so some mass on that abdominal area and now this blood result with elevated liver enzymes and I don't know if it is important but he was abusing alcohol though he never was an alcoholic.

Norrie, I read about elevated liver enzymes and the liver function tests themselves, here. It may mean different things depending upon the specific underlying causes. Do any of them sound familiar to you?

Elevated liver enzymes does not necessarily mean cancer. It means your body is fighting something. Cancer could be one of many causes. Everything is filtered though your liver, so many things can cause you to have elevated results. I wouldn't get overly worried yet. Make sure your father follows up very soon with a dr. A problem with his liver is a serious thing, and should be taken care of soon. Good luck, and I hope this helps some.

I understand that you are very concerned, being that it is your father you are speaking about. I will explain to you what "elevated liver enzymes" means. Liver enzymes are naturally found in liver cells, but leak into the blood when those cells are damaged. So since your father has high liver enzymes, he has damage to some part of the liver. This is NOT necessarily cancer. The region your father is having pain is most likely his liver, but cancer is not usually painful. Therefore, he may have one of many other conditions, and his conidition might be treatable. It is imperative, however, that he follows up with his doctor! More tests need to be run so that they can evaluate what exactly has caused his liver damage and treat it quickly.

elevated liver enzymes could mean anything from non fatty liver disease to an infection i.e. hepatitis or diabetes and obesity. Elevated liver enzymes DOES NOT always mean LIVER CANCER.
Let the doctors figure this out, and try not to worry . :-| mary

Your liver enzymes may be elevated, even if there is no damage to the liver at all. For example, ALP is made by the bones and the liver. Your blood ALP levels may be elevated due to damaged the bones, not a damaged liver.
ALT, AST levels may be elevated if there is damage to the heart.

What about someone who has lost 121 pounds and now suddenly has elevated AST (60) and ALT (91)? My levels were normal a year ago. I have lost 83 pounds since the last bloodwork was done in June of 2008. All of the other blood tests have remarkable results.

I am a 61 year old female who underwent surgery for colon cancer on June 30, 2010 - I also have MS. The surgery was successful and at the moment am cancer free - no chemo required - however at my 3 month checkup - blood test results showed liver enzymes were 220 - the top end of the parameters for enzymes is 22 - I haven't had a drink in 20 years and before that was a social drinker. I am wondering what steps I should be taking to follow up on this - my doctor seemed unconcerned about the elevated levels - could it perhaps be a result of the surgery itself?

that's amazing that I came across your story. I have the exact symptoms - they found a tumor in my pancreas. I've lost weight and nausea alot - have pain on right upper side. Do Abdominal CT to see if they see a mass. l If that's negative still do a endoscopic procedure. Sometimes CTs don't pick up everything - also it may be really small which is my case which is much better. Also My liver enzymes were also abnormal because the bile duct is dilated from the tumor pushing against. Not to scare you but pancreatic cancer or benign tumor is very serious. Have him checked sooner - don't wait because 3 weeks can make a difference. I'm only 48 year old female and am healthy - I also don't smoke or drink except an occasional beer on the holidays. I don't do drugs either. The CT will also show any tumors in stomach small intestine gallbladder etc. Good luck and take care.

I myself have been alarmed with some recent blood test. I'm am 32 yrs old. 5'1 and 130 lbs. I'm also menopausal, total hysterectomy done 2 yrs ago. After my hysterectomy I had a pelvic hematoma that abcessed and I waas enterveinious therapy for 2mnths . I have been very healthy since. I walk everyday and eat very healthy. My sgot level is 510 ans sgpt is 190 my billaruben is norm and only other test elevated is protein @70 and MCH is 32. My lipase is boarder at 324. I don't drink alcohol. I don't do drugs. Not on any meds. I am not yellow/jaundised. No pain. A little discomfort upper right. Currently waiting for more blood tests. CT and ultra sound is clean. But I am worried. Should I be?

My husband came back with elevated levels of liver enzymes in his blood work as well. He has been a heavy drinker for many years, he is 31 now. I had been worried about him because he just didn't look well. He hasn't had a good appetite, he looks very skinny and fragile, his eyes have been yellow for a while now, i could just tell that something was and is wrong. He did stop drinking because the doctor suggested he drastically cut back. He quit smoking too. I'm worried that his levels were high even though he stopped drinking a couple weeks prior to his appointment. I'm worried that his are still yellow. What does the jaundice mean and when does it go away?

norrie wrote:

In experience with my mom and stuff the alcohol would explane the enzemes being high but i have been told that if it gets to high there is a prosedure that where they can remove a part of the liver and your liver will grow back to normal size and yes what you had said will cause the symptoms that you have spoke of.

Hi, I have been having these symptomes for the last year or so. It started with uncontroable itching(the itchyness is driving me crazy!!!! ) and these little dizzy spells which last for a half hour or so. I can feel them comming on and usually go away after I eat something and sit down. this year so far I have had 5 or 6 of these little attacks. My co workers tell me to get my sugars checked. Well this morning, I had a nasty one. It hit me hard, first black spots then the dizzieness and feeling like passing out. There was no warning at all this time The sweating was like I just ran 10km!! but it was a cold sweat. In the hospital I go. Took me right in and hooked me up to all these wires and stuck a bunch of needles in me. Anyway, blood tests came back with elevated emzyme levels in my liver.. I have to go back later this week for ct scans and ultrasounds on my stomach. has anyone ever had the itching thing symptoms? Mostly everything I have read about elevated emzymes of the liver  is leading to cancer?

Mike

yes Mike I have experienced those symptoms, doc said my liver levels were high, I dont drink what so ever, its a scary feeling, I have been taking Milk Thistle to help

Hmm, I go for cat scan and ultrsounds tomorow morning. How did you make out? Did the doctors tell you why your level was high?