I'm 22 and was a smoker for 2 years. I'm currently suffering from hoarseness of voice (about five days now) and a dry cough. I just quit smoking a about a week ago, and since then I have little to no phlegm in my coughs although my coughs are still persistent. My muscles around my stomach ache when I cough. I was wondering what illness could these symptoms point to?

I understand that coughing comes naturally after quitting smoking because the lung starts to cleanse itself. I, however, am still perplexed by the current hoarseness of my voice. This happened after I raised my voice at someone. Although I understand that stressing ones voice and excessive smoking leads to hoarseness (same day my voice got hoarse, i smoked my last cigs), I'm still puzzled because I only raised my voice once and not even very loudly.

I searched around the net and found these as symptoms for either laryngitis or lung cancer. Now I am extremely paranoid about which illness I have.

If laryngitis, how long does this supposedly last? and is it possible to have lung cancer with these symptoms after merely 2 years of smoking?

Please help. What do you guys think? Other former smokers out their also experienced what I am experiencing now?

*muscles above my stomach ache

(sorry correction)

I stopped smoking after 30 year of 4 packs a day.  It has been one week and it has been hell, my throat is swollen, I can not talk at all.  My lymph nodes are swollen.  I doc has me on a nebulizer machine, nicotine patch, antibiotics, oral asthma medications, and two steriods and I still feel like sh*t.

I think  you are loosing your voice due to stopping smoking, but just in case run it by your doc over the phone.

yes, cigarettes are pure evil. I was a passionate smoker for more than 15 years and when I saw that I am coughing all day and sometimes it wakes me up during the night, I have stopped. it is a little bit harder to set a dry cough treatment after 15 years of using cigarettes and doing nothing about this. 

I still have this hoarse voice and it is killing me. I remember that my doctor told me that this is a very common condition that is often experienced in conjunction with a very dry cough. I think that it is treatable. But some consequences remains the same. 

Same thing. Had bronchitis 2 weeks ago, took 10 days of antibiotics and finally quit smoking 2 days ago. No longer coughing up anything but can't talk at all. No insurance to go back to doctor. No real pain or chest congestion to speak of but my vocal chords feel like they are being strangled with phlem. How long is this supposed to last? Have quit several times but never when I was sick.

My son also 22 yrs. quit smoking and coughed his brains out for about a month. He said its because the little hairs in his lungs were singed off from smoking and until the hairs grow back everything even just breathing would make him cough. You may have read about the little protective hairs already but you will quit coughing when the hairs grow back. Also watercress and other fresh leafy greens are excellent for the lungs. As far as the hoarseness goes , if it had not gone back to normal a week after you quit smoking , probably get it checked out by your doctor.