I've had 2 catscans on my head....and when the scan would start going i had this awfull smell come from my nose ....I cant even describe the smell but it was pretty scary...anyone have Ideas?

Brad wrote:

Quote:

I've had two catscans in the past 3 weeks. Same thing both times. I get this funny smell/taste in my mouth. And, both times the techs think I'm imagining things.

I also have experienced this........I'd really like to know what it is. The tech said she'd had other people tell her that, but she didn't know either. Does anyone have an answer?????

Just came from getting a CAT Scan on my Sinus. Noticed the smell and googled "funny smell during cat scan" only to find this an other threads. It must be a real phenomenon... several of us noticed it.

I got an odd smell this morning during my CT scan. Yesterday, I was reading about Chernobyl and several of the witnesses talked about a strange smell, they described it as kind of like ozone. I don't know what ozone smells like, so I can't compare, but it seems to me thatt the smell just might be the smell of radiation.

I have had 2 cat-scans also. both times, i could smell... like a sulfur smell. I never really looked into it but as I look back now, it kinda freaks me out. My 7 year old nephew also had a cat scan and he said the same thing, it had a really bad smell that kinda 'burnt' his nose. It's gotta be something.... hopefully nothing 'bad'...

Me too. I've just come out of my CT scan and googled for a smell during, because about half way through I all of a sudden had a strange taste/smell.
I think its probably a reaction from the radiation hitting a sensitive part of the brain, responsible for olfactory senses. It's probably nothing to be worried about.
I'm sure Bruce Banner experienced the same thing.
I guess the trick is not to get angry about it.

during my ct scan i felt like i was smelling blood/metallic smells.. like when you get a nose bleed.. when i started to smell it  i actually was worried that my nose was bleeding but my tech said i was imagining things

I had the same thing. The radiologist told me people w hyper smell could pick up on the tungsten as it became ozone. (had had a concussion so my recollection of exact description is not accurate)

Had my first CT scan today (4/2/2013) at GHC in Madison WI, and I definitely noticed a very strong metallic-type smell in my nose/sinuses during the procedure (other people describing the smell in previous posts as "ozone, blood, burning" would also be a good way to describe it). I also felt as if there was some heat being generated in my sinus area and behind one eye at the same time. Nothing too painful, but uncomfortable and weird enough to elevate my heart rate and put me on edge a bit. Seemed like the "weird sinus effect" lasted for about four hours afterwards. Wish I knew what it was and if it is something to worry about. I'm not posting this to freak anyone out if you're considering getting this type of scan, it really wasn't that bad -just kind of strange because I wasn't expecting it. If you and/or your doctor think there's a real benefit to getting a CT scan, than you should do it (assuming this metal smell phenomena isn't harmful).

In an effort to help myself and others get to the bottom of this issue, I should state that I'm a machinist and welder and work with metal much more than most. I would guess I have a higher level of metal exposure and metal PPM in my blood than the average American.

Take care, all.Chris in Madison.

I had the same thing happen to me today, they had to do a neck scan. The nurse told my I had to keep my mouth open at all times and my eyes closed, she then said I will feel my body warm up a bit. As soon as she said this I got the strange feeling in my mouth and it almost felt like vapours were escaping my mouth. When she walk over even she said "bad smell!" I am working in Korea, so I could not question her much about it, because of language barrier. I thought I would have a chocolate milk to get the taste out of my mouth after I left the hospital and I thought it was off, as it was all curdling on my tongue. I open the carton and it was fine!!! Now I am still left with this metallic taste on my tongue! Is it the tracing dye the inject you with coming out??? Freaky stuff!

I've had 6 ct scanns after being a passenger in a major roll over accident. I got head trauma and a severely messed up eye and face. Hence the scanns. I describe the smell as a chemical reactio type smell. It was very acrid. Idk what the hell it was but I'm sure illd come down with brain cancer from all this radiation! Zheesh! But its got a be done if I don't want to lose my eye I guess :/

I just had  one and had a horrible burning smell. I little bit like burned popcorn, but also with a metallic component to it.

Four days later I can still smell that odor. Yuk.

Forgot to say that some people compare it to ozone. I do not. Ozone is a very pleasant clean air smell.