If I blow my nose hard or talk to loud too much I have what seems like a bursting of a strange smell in my sinus. The smell permeates everything. I cant get it out of my sinus. Everything smells of this (Greasy, Coffee, burnt)smell. Food no longer tastes good either. Flavors of all food now include this smell and its disgusting. I've used saline nasal spray. Tried to blow whatever it is in my sinus out, all with no avail! My wife says there's nothing different in my breath either. I've had this for years in one form or another. About 4 years ago, it used to happen whenever I would drink a really strong cup of coffee (Starbucks), but now it happens when I blow my nose or even stranger....When I talk loud or yell??? I have't drank coffee for months thinking this was the cause but it still happens daily. The smell and taste is always gone when I wake up in the morning. Please tell me you've heard of this or better yet you know how to fix it.

ive had it for 12 years, exactly what your saying... doctors did a check on my sinus but all clear.

i went through a stage that it only came along when i laughed lots, but now i have it permanently.

like you say, everything smells weird, and food tastes weird. I dont get it however, when i have a bad cold! or a cold coming.

have you found out what it is?

its sooooo weird though isnt it.

Very wierd. I really thought it was all because of the coffee, but since I haven't drank a cup in over a year....guess I can rule that one out huh!!!

I've notice recently that its not happening so much, but when it does its when I laugh. I've been making it a point to be conciese (spelling) of when Im gonna laugh or raise my voice and plug my nose internally, like as if I was swimming under water. Seems to be doing the trick, at least for now.

Do you wake up with the smell in your nose now, or does it come soon after you wake? I've noticed that sometimes if it does come, it happens after I brush my teeth in the morning. My nose will run because of the mintiness of the toothpaste and when I blow my nose....(POP) there it goes. If it doesn't happen then, then I'm able to be mindefull of it durring the day.

BTW, I live in oregon, I have worked in dusty areas at the onset of this issue and since then. I'm 29 now but have had this when I was 24. Just stating this cause I was wondering if there were any similarities in our sircumstances.

hey you!

its so interesting to find someone else the same.

I woke this morning and i didnt have it (it went pop later on though) - it does seem to be getting better / not as servere now as it was but its still there. Sometimes I have woken up and its there already - thats depressing.

Yes, I get it after brushing my teeth if i havent already woken up with it . Sometimes i wake and its not there, and i think GREAT! and then after a few minutes it pops (like you say) and its there.

ITs got worse over the years. I had it at 17 and I am now 29, I live in the UK and dont have much to do with dust (apart from my house, hehe!!).

I am pleased that you are managing to control it! thats good, i think i will try that... I would love to know what it is exactly.

I have had scans on my sinus and its all clear.

I think its just a freak thing that happens - no one can explain it, and doctors dont even know what im talking about.

Talking loud and yell - yep!! me too (that was before i had it permanently - which i pretty much have - i have my good days though)

we have the same thing! I might go to the doctors again and tell them that you have it too and that its not just me!

i did find ages ago that drinking lots of orange squash helped in the morning, but not anymore.

do you drink lots of water or just stuff like tea and coffee - cos i thought it couldve been coffee too! funny that.

well i will mention it to the dr again, if you find out anything please let me know and i will for you too!

thanks for replying and keep in touch!!

Hey, I hope you still check this every once and a while. I have noticed one new thing. The smell, or whatever it is is only in my left nostril. If I want to eat something and actually taste it all I have to do is plug that one nostril and my food tastes fine. And just the oposite if I plug my right.

Not sure if this will help you but if you haven't enjoyed the taste of food for a while just shove a wadd of tissue up one nostril if yours is the same.....and prefferably if you eating at home....ALONE!! Might catch a couple of strange looks otherwise! haha

Good luck, let me know if this helps you.

shawn.

Same problem, but have only been having it for a couple weeks. Like ink or natural gas, (can't explain it exactly). It sucks.

I have had a similar problem for 5 or 6 years. It is only in my right nostril and normally happens when I agitate my nose (blowing it, exercising, talking loud, strong smells - like cooking or grilling, etc) but it does happen intermittently for no good reason. I am able to make the smell go away by bending my head down and kind of holding my breath for a few seconds. Still annoying though. Like one of you I do not get the smell when I have a cold.

I have been seeing an ENT for a couple months and had and MRI, he saw nothing besides a severe deviated septum. I am going in this Monday to get a septoplasty. He thinks this may help since the deviated septum is disrupting the airflow in my right nostril.

I will report back next week if it gets better. Let's hope so, we all know how frustrating this problem is.

Best of luck to you all .. if you are still checking this site.

So hey ajc You said you were going to get back with the results of your surgery. Did your .....uh....yadayada-plasty work???

hi...
im facing this problem since 6 months
and symptoms are almost same...
i feel the problem is serious and scared. doctors i have met are new to this case and are in confusion.
please keep posting and share solution to this problem..

I've had this problem for about 6 months now. I've lived in Oregon for almost 2 years, had 2 sinus surgeries in LA and one up here so I don't think it's tied to that. My dr. also thinks I'm weird. Just out of the blue, I ate some cilantro (and I LOVE cilantro) and it tasted like soap. Yuck! It still tastes yucky so I'm bummed about that! Some of the other descriptions are good too but nothing hits it right on the head. I do a NeilMed sinus rinse every day and that helps a little but not permanently. Seems to be more prevalent when I have post nasal drip, which is often. From the looks of the comments here, it sounds like it's permanent. Best of luck to us all but I'll check back here occasionally to see if anyone has anything new to add (like a cure?!).

In December 2008 . Right before Christmas I received the Flu Vac and go figure 2 days later I came down with the flu for 2 weeks. In this time as well as having all Flu symptoms. I started having a post nasal drip. Very biter nasty like taste in the back of my throat , when the post nasal drip would occur. Also I thought very weird , when ever I leaned forward or blew my nose I would get a weird sinus odor. Kinda like biter, coffee , mucus like kind of odor. This has never happened to me before nor have I ever had sinus issues. I do have a cracked tooth back mollar that will be pulled out next weeks. I will ask my periodontist if perhaps this is all related? However I began searching this sinus odor and In reading abouve comments I see it has happened to others. I am interested in any other comments related to this situation. Thank You.

I'm with you all too. It's driving me crazy. Everything smells like ink to me. It's been going on for about 2 weeks after a sinus infection. I'm actually feeling a little nauseated from it today. Any advice would be great.

So I've had this problem when I started working in a coffee shop is when I started to notice it, just randomly this funny like bitter smell comes in my nose and when it happens, nothing tastes the same at all, sometimes it lasts 20 minutes and has been all the way up to even 4 hours... its miserable, well about 4 to 5 months after I noticed it ( and it mainly happens at work) i got an allergy infection, got treated and i was happy it had not happened in a week or so, and them boom again.... i'm frustrated and am not sure what to do, i'm going back to the doctor again...

I've had the same issue for the past two years. Four years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and I was assuming that this foul taste was attributed to my key tone levels rising. I make an attempt to wipe my nose instead of blowing because it really puts a damper on my entire day. Starchy foods taste burnt and I'm breathing in this awful smell all day. I'll check with an ENT now that I've found this site. Please keep me posted at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
. Thanks.

This started happening to me about three weeks ago. But first i must preface that for about 6-9 months i have been complaining to my wife that chocolate doesn't smell the same, that it had a bad smell. Also any cookies cakes etc that were store bought. I felt that the whole candy/cake industry had changed ingredients. She said she smelled nothing different. I did not however smell anything g strange in European or German made chocolate. So in a way i wonder if this smell problem actually started with distortions of boxed food smells and then progressed to the condition that developed 3-4 weeks ago. I smell something like burnt wood??? that is stronger if i smell certain things, like plastic bags. My close smell like smoke a bit.Its driving me crazy. I went on this website and read that a sign of frontal lobe cancer is smell issues, but I self ruled that out because some days are better than others and i figure cancer doesn't have good and bad days..it would be a continuous exacebation of the proble, Mt pet bichon really stinks like this smell, although my wife says i'm crazy. All you people are scaring the c**p outta me as i haven't been to a dr yet and you have, and it seems to do no good.Ther has to be somebody with a conclusive diagnosis out there