Please, can you explain me what lumbar fusion is? My mom is going to have one on L4 –S1. I know that they will operate her spine. I saw so much time on time on TV that people have so many complications from those procedures. Is spinal fusion complicated procedure. I need to more about it!!!

Well, I hope that she will be ok, because lumbar fusion is the most common type of fusion surgery for the low back. A fusion is a surgical procedure that joins two or more bones in this case L4 and S1 together into one solid bone. I don’t know w hat is your mom problem with these vertebras, but lumbar fusion is usually done to treat spine instability, severe degenerative disc disease, and fractures in the lumbar spine. The incision is on the low back. My mom had one too, but that was long a ago. I was much younger so I don’t remember exactly what happened.

i agree to tove. but nowadays some surgeons are offering MIS Minimally invasive procedure so it will lessen the risk of complication and less operating time plus quicker recovery,,, ask your surgeon about it