Hi, I will have a lumbar fusion surgery in three weeks’ time, and I’m very scared. I don’t know much about this surgery and I hope you could tell me something about it. Did you have a lumbar fusion surgery and how did it go?

Hi, I had a lumbar fusion surgery two months ago. Before that I talked with my anesthesiologist and surgeon about pain management, and they told me everything about meds I was going to use. After the surgery, I was allowed only to have ice chips for the first 24 hours, because my stomach wasn’t ready to take any food. I had to do some deep breathing exercises after the lumbar fusion surgery to prevent breathing problems. A doctor also recommended me to walk and do some legs exercises to prevent circulation problems. Because you’re surgery is in three weeks’ time, I don’t think there’s nothing you can do now, but before few days before surgery your doctor might recommend you laxatives and sleeping pills. Fortunately, I didn’t have any complications, but if you notice increased redness, swelling, drainage, flu-like symptoms, numbness or inability to control bowel and bladder inform your doctor about that. This surgery will help you relief the pain, numbness, tingling and weakness, so don’t be afraid of it.

i suggest that u ask your surgeon if he had a MIS Minimally invasive procedure it is better than the old approach procedure less the risk of complication and plus quicker recovery time...