My son had a spinal tap in March of this year. He had spinal headache for a week, we called the docter everyady- he put him on naurcotics and told him to stay flat, then the headcahe went to a horrible neck ache- which hurt when he stood up and they said it was still part of the spinakl  headache leek- went back to the hospital they decided to not go ahead with the blood patch and sent him back home to lay oflat on his back for yet another week. The nechachefinally went away but since then he is unable to sleep natuarally. Need sleep aids. This is a 27 year old male who slept like a log before the spinal tap. What should we do- he spent a week at John Hopkins and the major neorological desaese were ruled out. We have a sleep study scheduled next week. Is there any advise- I am his mom and worried sick? is there any specialist that he should see? What could have caused the inability to sleep naturally?/ Thanks so much for any ideas or help.

I was researching this topic and came across your post.  I am sorry to here about your son's complications from his spinal tap.  He is not alone.  I had a botched lumbar puncture and have had headaches, nerve damage to my spine and have most recently lost the ability to sleep and also to sneeze which has been very disturbing for me and exhausting.  I'm on pain meds all day and sleep meds all night.  I have yet to find any answers, but I will keep searching. I was also thinking about going to Johns Hopkins, but after reading your post I'm not sure.  What was your son's experience like there?  I have a couple Drs. appts. coming up so I hope I can find some help.  I will keep researching until I do.  I hope your son is improving.

@Heather Cannon - Well sorry to hear about your sons problem, but i am much worse after undergoing the tap, suffering very bad neck pain, lumbar back pain, I barely can sit and i have been almost bed-ridden since a year almost after the tap I too hardly get any sleep, even i used to sleep very well before the Tap, I require a very heavey dose of sleep pills , will appreciate if you happen to come across any solution to this

I'm dealing with insomnia after a spinal tap 2 weeks ago. I've never had problems sleeping, I don't know where else to turn. Help!