I  had a lumbar puncture because I had bad nerve pain   in my back neck arms and legs.I was on gabapentin for 2 months.I had during those months experienced more numbness than pain and was shocked to feel NOTHING when I had the lumbar puncture ..not even the doctor feeling where to put the needle.During the process he hit a nerve .I nearly shot through the roof.It went right down my back and leg to my toes.I kind of had aftershocks down my leg for the next month or so. After the lumbar puncture I lost all muscle movement and sensation in the vaginal area!!! and had trouble feeling and going to the toilet.Although 4 months later and lots of pelvic exercises some  muscle movement came back I have barely any sensation in the vaginal area.Could this be caused by LP?My whole back and spine patchy numbness and fingers and toes.No neurological illness found and Mri's are clear.Any ideas?

Hi Guest,

With any test there is a risk of complications.

Some of your symptoms could be as a result of the lumbar puncture.  Symptoms can occur at or below the level of the puncture so it is unlikely that the fingers would be affected.

Any problems should decrease as time progresses.  Since it has continued for 4 months now, I'd suggest you see a neurologist.

Good luck.

unfortunately the neurologist thinks I am imagining it,They say If I am numb I just have to live with it and that the lumbar puncture cant damage nerves!!!

See a different neurologist.