Hi, I am 50 years old and my husband who is 60 recently has tow months ago experienced one brain stroke and left side of his body paralyzed.
Neurologist told me that his stroke was mild and that he will probably recover from it. He did some testing and physical therapy after it and he recovered from it very well.
About seven days ago he had another stroke that was much stronger than the first. Neurologist scheduled him for some procedure called lumbar puncture. What is the purpose of this method?

Lumbar puncture is one very important diagnostic method where big needle is placed in patient’s spine for the purpose of taking out the cerebrospinal fluid.
Lumbar puncture is performed in the interspaces between the lumbar vertebrae, usually at the L4-L5 level. When sufficient fluid is obtained, the needle is withdrawn and a dry sterile dressing applied to the puncture site.
Cerebrospinal fluid normally is normally is clear and colorless. If patient lived through serious stroke then blood is found in this fluid.
Of course, if patient suffers from some bacterial meningitis or encephalitis, then appropriate bacteria should be found in cerebrospinal fluid. There are some side effects of lumbar puncture like
post–spinal tap headache and nerve root trauma, headache, brain herniation, bleeding and infection.