I've recently found a lump on the right side just above my collar bone - it's just short of a hand's width from the very middle of the collar bone. The thing that worries me is that it hurts :-( when I touch it, or do anything that will stretch that part of the skin around it.

It's not hard like the bone, but not "soft" either - sorry for such a bad description...

Should I be worried?

Oh it's not very big either, it's two fingers in length and the skin isn't red around it either.

Hi! It could be a swollen lymph node. They usually occur as a result of exposure to a bacteria or virus. In some cases, the passage of time and the use of over-the-counter pain relievers and warm compresses may be all you need to treat swollen lymph nodes. But you should talk to your doctor about it. You'll find some useful information here https://www.steadyhealth.com/What_could_cause_lump_above_collarbone__t54166.html Take care.