Hi all, thanks for reading.

I am a 24 yo M.  I weigh 165lbs and I am 5'10" and am very active (exercise 5 times a week).  1 year ago I started to get swelling above my right clavicle that was noticeable through my shirt.  It is firm and rubber and does not move.  The swelling will appear every couple of days, stay swollen for a day, then go back down and come back again a few days later.  It has never hurt, felt warm or been red.  I can also feel it starting to swell because it feels like something is in my throat when I swallow and I get a dry cough.  

After noticing this I went to my primary provider and she did some blood work (which was normal) and gave me some antibiotics.  That didn't work.  I went back about 2 weeks later and she said take some advil for 3-5 days and come back if that didn't work.  Well that didn't work either.  Around this time school had started back up again and I was just really busy and ,although it was uncomfortable, I just ignored it. 

Over the past year I have noticed that it seems to get worse when I drink caffeine or alcohol.  Flash forward until last week when the swelling was humongous.  It was large swelling above my collarbone about the size of a tennis ball. This kind of freaked me out and I decided to go see the doctor again.  They took blood and I had an x-ray on it (I wont know the results until tomorrow).  The doctor said we need to get a little more aggressive with it but she has always seemed so unconcerned about it.

My question is should I be concerned?  Should I seek a second opinion?  The swelling is pretty annoying and I just want it to stop.

Here are some pictures of what the swelling looked like the other day.

http://i.imgur.com/nhRJe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OeWmo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ICtLj.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hi there - You say that it swells up and then goes back down? That is a little strange. What does your doctor want to do as a follow-up at this point? You need to make sure that this is not related to your lymph nodes, as pain while drinking and enlargements near your collar bone could be lymphoma. Especially if antibiotics did not do anything. That said - I have an enlarged lymph node that just sort of stays large and it is nothing at all (just is bigger from an old infection and stayed that way). But, my husband is a lymphoma survivor and was diagnosed in his 20s. He worked out a lot, thought he strained a muscle that had swollen, but no such luck. He has had successful treatment - being young and active is a big plus. But, this is the sort of thing you do not want to wait around for a diagnosis. You need to talk to your drs and make sure this is not related o your lymph system asap. Good luck to you, I hope all goes well for you.

If they do determine it might be related to your lymph nodes - they need to order a CT scan. That is really the only way to tell if you have enlarged nodules. That will most likely also involve getting a PET scan and eventually a lymph node biopsy or aspiration. Don't worry too much if your doctors aren't too concerned - you may have a weird infection or something too. But, it is better to keep after it and find out for sure. One thing that is good in your case is that it shrinks. Lymphoma never ever does that. Ever. So you may have a recurring virus or something - like Mono. Just didn't want to scare you with my last post. Just stay on it and follow-up with your doctors and don't just "wait and see". It is always better to be proactive when it comes to your health.

haha Thanks.  I talked to my Dr today and she said that everything came back normal and I had no soft tissue swelling on the x-ray.  I did have a mild case of hypoglycemia (HbA1C of 5%) but I just need to eat more frequently with more protein.  She said that if it persists then we will explore further options.

Jef, What did you find out? I'm having the exact same thing and it is golf ball size. Mine comes and goes throughout the day too. My Dr. has done all the same tests, all negative results. When it swells it puts pressure on my arm nerve and I get slight burning sensation in my shoulder and needle pains down my arm and fatigue. I'm very scared, I have no insurance and I feel like I need to help the doctor determine the cause right away instead of "shot in the dark" diagnosing before it is too late.

your pictures look almost identicle to mine and I work out a lot too. Have you heard anymore about yours? I had a CT scan with contrast and everything is normal, but this thing is still there. It has me freaking out even though everyone says not to.

I also have intermittent swelling above my right collar bone.  Sometimes it also aches.  This past week, I started getting a muscle spasm in my lower lip, and two days ago, my feet, hands, and shoulders started to ache.  Has anybody else had such symptoms with a diagnosis?  Thanks!

I also forgot to mention that I went to the doctor last Spring for the collar bone swelling.  He said that I was developing a fatty-tissue deposit over that collar bone, which he said is fairly common in women my age (40s), but that it typically presents bilaterally.  He doesn't know why mine is only on one side.

Hi JeffThi, I have the same ball as yours one on right side which is showing in this image

***post is edited by moderator *** explicit and graphic content*** Please read our Terms of Use

, how are you now and what your doctor said, I saw this only two days ago and I'm scared of it.

Hi Jeff, I am a 26 year old female and have the same issue going on 3 years now. What ever came of yours?

Did you ever find out what this was, @ JefThi? Your photos look exactly like mine.

What happened? I'm so sick of bouncy around doctors for an answer

Did you find out anything?

Hi I am 54 and a few days ago I got this same swelling. Prior to this my eyes, face and neck were swollen. When I went to emergency they thought it was my adrenals. I was put on Prednisone. The swelling in my face, neck and eyes went away however three weeks later I got the same swelling as you. My swelling is puffy, large, however not firm. Throat feels the same way as yours. I had blood work. It shows an elevated white cell count which means infection and or inflammation. I am going for an MRI tomorrow to check out my head and neck to follow up MS.
I contacted the neurologist about my concerns and requested they do my neck as well. I was informed not to worry as the neck is done to the shoulders.
My GP said that he wanted to do an ultra sound to check for Lymphoma. I feel fine other than I am tired and my throat and ears feels like it is restricted. Doctor is investigating however is glad that my airway is clear and I am able to swallow.
I would like to keep in touch with you about this. If you find out what is happening please let me know. My doctor is stumped for now.

Sincerely concerned,

I have the same thing. Anybody figure out what it is?