My big toe is red, the nail is thick and yellowish, nail seems to be growing in a pinched shape, only pressure to the middle of the nail causes exscrusiating pain. :'( Help!

Island girl,
did you find out what was wrong with your toe because I am having the same problem. It is sooooo painful. I've been looking on line and most of the websites say gout but it's not pain in the joint, it's under the nail. Everytime my heart beats, my toe throbs.

Hey there,

this definitely sounds like you are having a nail infection, especially if you feel throbbing with heartbeat. The most usual nail infections are caused by fungus, but the symptoms you are experiencing sound much more like a bacterial infection, mainly because it seems as if there is swelling under the nail (tissue swells up because bacteria cause the production of puss that helps to fight it off).

Either way, I think that you will have to see a doctor, because if it is a bacterial infection, it will get better only with the antibiotic treatment, probably not only topical, but with help of oral antibiotics as well. Before infection clears up, you simply will not be able to do much because of the pain, so get help as soon as you can.

This problem is more frequent than most would admit. I have the problem. I`m taking antibiotics, strong version. Next I`m off to see a Choropodist `cos the Doc isn`t quite sure but she thinks high blood pressure makes it worse.

My big toe nails seems to be growing in a pinched shape, only pressure to the middle of the nail causes terrible pain....... WHAT IS CAUSING THIS...??  WHAT CAN I DO?? Similar to island girls condition..helllp