i just recently had my ingrown toenail cut out. not the whole toe nail but both sides where it was ingrown. my question is is it common for the rest of the nail to fall off? you know how the end of nails are light colored, well on the left side and the bottom of my toenail, near the toe, is the same light colored. its like the toenail isnt attached i guess you could say. it kinda looks like the nail is gonna fall off. is this common? this is my first one being removed, and im kind aparaniod on wat to expect aftwards.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

the same thing happened to me - i got an ingrown because i stupidly wore sneakers on a long walk that i thought would fit, but my feet are now permetaly a size bigger due to having a baby - well - got an ingrown and six blisters under my toenails. i went to a podiatrist and he took care of the ingrown that was in november - now the toenail is loose on the bottom and only being held on by a small sliver to the nail bed, gross. but i'm glad that it will soon probably fall off on its own.

Both of my big toes where ingrown and I too had the sides of the nails removed. My Dr told me that the toe nails may fall off. Mine didn't, but the tip of them did get loose. Now they are growing out like a normal nail.

Hi kevin
dont worry about it at all
i had my toe nail sliced at the side in surgery because im a dancer and my jazz shoes where agrivating my toes terribly, the doctor took a huge amaount of nail of my big toe to prevent it re-occuring. it didnt , im actually a nurse aswell and i kno for a fact that even if your toenail did fall off (which i doubt it will :-D ) then all u need to do is keep a hold of the nail , go to ur doctor and theres a glue they use to stick your nail back on your toe. And if ur worried about the pain u might feel IF it did fall off, well thtd be non existent as if ur nail is parting from the nail bed, then tht means the skin is healed and just isnt latching onto the nail.
please dont worry itll be fine

kevin

I had both mine done last year, the one on the right fell off in just the way you describe. Then a new one grew out from the rear no probs, it's all a-ok now. Didn't hurt when the old one fell off, nothing to worry about mate.

Only thing is, & they did tell me this, sometimes the sides grow back again & you end up having to have the treatment re-done. Well mine are regrowing a year down the line, however the spikes aren't digging in now so it's not causing any problem. I guess I'd go back and have it done again if it was.

i get ingrown tonails ALOT! six surgeries and more than half the time my tonail falls off and creates another ingrown tonail i dont know how to stop it

six surgeries and i guess your doctor doesnt put that acid on to stop it from growing in that area. tell them you want that done. the surgery sucks as it is. doing it six times...i cant even imagine.

Even if they use the acid they still sometimes grow back in, I just had my 7th surgery and each one used the acid, in fact the third surgery I had the guy literally put my feet over a trash can and poured the acid over my toes, he then rubbed the skin with iodine, but I still lost like two layers of it, and the toenails still grew back. This last time time the anesthetic they use didn't work at all. I figure this is my last time if they grow back again I'll just get the entire toenail removed and killed so they can't come back at all.

My doctor didn't tell me it might fall off but it did. Since it was summer I stupidly got a fake nail glued on at a pedicure so it would look "normal" in the summer. Then I developed a fungal infection of course and now the nail is falling off again. Ay carumba!

If you go to those aggressive pedicurists, they will always trim the side cuticles of nail really well so you don't get ingrown nails.

I go to an experienced older Vietnamese woman to cut my ingrown toenails. She is so gentle but really gets the corners out. Just got surgery anyway on left foot because it was just too turned in after trauma last year. So now it looks like the bail might fall off m. Glad to hear they grow back from the non- acid treated part.

I got an ingrown surgery just recently and I'm not sure if any of your ingrown surgeries were like this but mine got cut off and then the doctor put some sort of acid so that m nail will never grow out on the sides and now my nail is loose so when it grows back will I only have a nail in the middle???