The big toe on my left foot hurts, a lot. It started to turn a little purple/black/blue today. It started hurting a little after my longest run evah <smiling broadly> four days ago. It hurts to wear shoes although running shoes don't feel too bad and it doesn't hurt any more to run than not run. I'll assume that I need new shoes (about 325 miles on these, and I was going to get some next week anyway). My nail is appropriately low, nothing dropped on it, no ingrown nail. What do I do now? Is the nail going to come off? Do I need to see a doctor? I can't stop running because of a planned March race. Does this question belong in a different forum?

I can't help, sorry. Are you sure your shoes don't need to be a bit bigger?

Umm if it's turning colors and you don't remember hitting it or dropping anything that could bruise it, you might want to see a doctor.

do your other toes hurt?

i was having issues with sore toes before i bumped up my shoe size...

:shrug:

maybe the toe box on your shoe needs to be wider and you're only noticing it now that you mileage is increasing? i bought mine a full size bigger than normal and they still feel too cramped at times :x

ice and elevate..and check into new shoes.

My regular shoes are 8.5, my running shoes 9.5. It has seemed comfortably roomy in the toe box until today.

Icing it tonight. I forgot the ibuprofen earlier but it's doing wonders now.

This may sound a bit radical but it defenitely works.
Take a razor blade to your shoes and making a vertical cut approximately along the mid line of where your big toe would sit. Failing that you could completely cut the toe box out of the shoes.
I used this method years ago when I ran longer distances. The shoes held up just as well and the soles wore out before the uppers.

Wish I could help, but the same thing seems to happen to me when I start getting my long runs longer. For me I think that I just tend to jam my toe into the end of the shoe. My shoe is big enough, but I think that sometimes you still can jam a toe.

If it does not start feeling better in a few days, you may want to see a doctor. Otherwise, wear it like a badge of honor!

Thanks all. It's much better today. No ibuprofen needed.

Bought new shoes. Ran 3 miles in them. I ALMOST bought a size 10 but decided to stick with the 9.5. I can run in them for 2 weeks and return them if they don't work out. Gotta love local running stores.

i've lost nails on toes on both feet. it's a bother, a little painful, and pretty ugly, but it's part of running for some of us. look for bigger toe box and, question, are you a toe runner? this is part of my problem. good luck to you!

:)