Hey,
I have really painful big toe and I think I have a ingrown toenail. It’s really painful for the last two days and I have a red area around my nail- I can’t even wear shoes. My sister says I’ll have a surgical removal of my ingrown toenail. Is that true? Is any other option possible? How does removal of ingrown toenail look like?
Thanks for replies!

Hey,
Doctors always try the path that is not surgical. That red area is a swelling that usually comes with an ingrown toenail. I can’t tell for sure, but I also think you’ll have a surgical removal of ingrown toenail. Don’t worry- this is not a big operation- it lasts only 1 hour and you are given a local anesthesia The operation is not painful- the most painful part is the injection of the local anesthetic, since injections into toes or fingers are painful due to the tight skin and many nerve endings.
The procedure will last less than a hour. The doctor will put nail up and cut along the toe’s edge, where the skin is growing into the skin and that way remove your nail. Doctor shall maybe use a chemical to prevent the nail from growing back in the same area. Don’t worry for the toe- another one will grow in a two months period.
You shall need a ride home! After you come home and when local anesthesia abate it might hurt, but if you lift your leg or at least put it at the same high as your sitting/ lying body it should stop. Otherwise use analgetic, which will relieve pain and that must help! I am certain you’ll be given antibiotics in order to reduce possibility of infection. After the surgery you shall have to do the dressing for about two weeks… the stitches shall be removed after 10 days and 2 weeks after the operation you are not supposed to do any strenuous activities or at least limit them. You are not supposed to wear high- heel or uncomfortable shoes. In the future trim your toenails straight across and do not pick or tear at them, since that may increase the possibility of an ingrown toenail again.
I also had ingrown toenail removal and it is not painful and in a few days you’ll be completely on your feet.
Good luck with your ingrown toenail removal!

Hey,

Yes you have to get it trimed or removed. I have had that problem all my high school life because of football. I just got both off my nails removed today and the after effect is horrible if you know someone that knows what to do if or protect the big toe PLEASE reply.

guy right above me u can buy these things for you toes that are like capps that keep the pressure off your toe. I also have an ingrown tonail usually i just cut near it and pull the rest of the nail out. This hurts but its worth it.

I always cut mine out myself. It's not that big of a deal really. Unless of course you let it go for a long time.

Yes for the past month I have had a very painful ingrown toenail on my two big toes of each foot. They were getting really bad and thought I would need sugery to remove them.
Luckily one day when I was reading a book on pedicures I came across this very simple home remedy. I tried it and it really works! My toenails no longer have a problem. Here it is:
Soak your feet in a warm tub of very salty water for about 10 minutes. Dry your feet well and pull off a small section of a cotton ball and roll it into a tiny ball. Although it is very painful at first, try to shove to cotton wool under your toenail which is ingrown. No need to put it under the entire nail; just the corner where it is painful. Yes this does hurt a lot, but leave it about 5 minutes and you wont even notice it. If it still is hurting under the nail after about ten minutes take and a make the cotton a smaller piece; you may just have been trying to shove too much under there.
Do this before bed and sleep with the cotton wool under your toe nail. Repeat this every night for about three weeks until your toenail will have grown out and will no longer be ingrown. This really works! Try it, you will be amazed. Good luck with your toes as I hope this remedy works for you like it did for me.

Hey guys,

I've been having bad issues with ingrown toenails for the past two years. Originally when I gotten them taken care of, my family doctor took care of them... well, a med student. After 13 tiny shots of lidocane, he removed the ingrown part. The problem came back a month or so later. This left me with a really bad experience.

When the problem came back, after a lot of procrastination, I called a podiatrist to resolve the issue. I had both of my big toes done on separate visits. The lidocane (numbing) shot was extremely painful. It was already mentioned it would be because of tight skin and many nerves. It was enough to make me cry out in pain... but it was worth it at the time. She did a shot on each side of the toe going all the way down. Unfortunately, my ingrown toenails came back about 5 months later. I know it wasn't due to the way I was cutting the nails, because it started at the base of the toe as the nail was growing, and grew up.

Now I'm really scared. I already know how the numbing procedure feels, so I'm terrified to go back. But this time I am going to request both of my big toenails removed. I never want to have to deal with this again. How different is the procedure? Is it any more, or less painful? How will my toe be after the procedure with that lost protection?

Btw, someone mentioned that stitches will be removed after 10 days. For BOTH of my toes, I didn't have to have stitches at all... I'm actually a bit surprised that someone had to have stitches for this procedure...

I'm going to try the cotton thing, to see if it grows out... but I don't think that will work, because the ingrown part started at the base of the toe as the nail began growing... so I'm a bit concerned. Plus I may make my appt before 3 weeks... so it would be a waste. :-)

hi
im 14 years old and i have a very painfull in growing toe nail that i have had for a very long time now what do u suggest i do iam to scared to go and have it removed. :'(

Well, if ur scared it dosent hurt...... Im 12 and i wasnt scared the only painful part is the injection (2 each toe) But after that you fell great....... TRUST ME I WOULD KNOW.........plus+ My nurse was hot lol

Hiya well i am 13 years old and i had my two sides of my toenail removed 3 weeks ago. The only painful part was the needles but the pain goes away within a minute or so. I still have my bandage on and when i went to get the dressing changed my nail is looking alot better. I was really scared to get it done aswell but i was so happy once it was all finished. When you get it done you think well that wasnt much at all. Dont take any notice of any bad comments because before i got mine done i was reading on forums to try and get help and one man said he was screaming wiht pain. It is honestly not that bad. So my advice is take no notice of all the bad comments peole say because they are over exaggerating. So my advice is go for it and get your toenail soreted because you will be relieved the pain is over and you will have no more worries :D good luck x

Hiya well i am 13 years old and i have just had each side of my toenail removed about 3 weeks ago. There is no need to worry about getting your toenail off. Take no notice of what other people say in forums when they say things are bad, because it honestly isnt. I read that a man scremed when he had it done and it really scared me. I'm not going to lie but the needles do hurt a little bit (just like a little nip) but after about a minute the pain goes aay. Well infact it isnt really pain it is more stinging than anything. I really just wanted to say that you would feel alot better after you got your toenail taking off because i did. Yesterday i went to get my dressing changed and the nurse said that my nail was healing really good and it looked better than what it did before the surgery. Well good luck and i hope you go through with the procedure because you will feel tuns better xxx :-D

I'm having a procedure done tomorrow on my ingrown toenail and I'm scared to death of the numbing procedure. I can handle an injection but is a shot really that bad on a toe?[/list]

I have had ingrown toenails on both sides of both big toes. Cutting the lateral or medial nail edge to the matrix and pulling that portion out was shortlived in that the nail edge came back and grew in again. I think they were probably too bad for cotton pledgets etc. I had a bad experience with podiatrists and doctors in general (both good and bad really, but I'm wary-go to someone who's done it a lot and has invested in good equipment if applicable to do the job better is my feelings and this is case in point). One podiatrist trimmed my toenail when I was there very short on the other side causing it to become ingrown too (granted I clearly have a predisposition-I think them being a little too wide and curving in more on the edge, but cutting the nail too short is a known cause and definitely caused that problem). I then made the mistake of randomly picking someone out of the phone book, a podiatrist, without a recommendation (didn't even try a hospital referral line which might be helpful if word of mouth or internet aren't), someone who was clearly very young and likely not very experienced (I had bilateral ingrown toenails then on one foot) who told me that if he trimmed the nail back to the matrix on each side of the toe separately it would cause an "unstable nail plate." I think now that must have been total extemporaneous bull. I've even seen treatment of a toe with both edges ingrown exemplified that way in a recent dermatology textbook by taking down both edges to the matrix while leaving the center portion of the nail alone. Unfortunately I relented. That nail I think, it being years later, is now ruined-very thick, hard like rock, Augly, fungal culture negative and nonresponsive to lamisil and sporonox and painful-still digs in on the sides and hurts when pressure is applied. I attribute it to damage to the cuticle. When I later had ingrown toenails to the other side each side was cut down and the matrix ablated with laser. That has worked fairly well. The nail probably could have been left a little wider to make it more cosmetic and still have worked I bet, but it functions just fine and looks almost normal except being just a little narrower than one would expect, my big toenails having been wider than most peoples' nails prior to that. So that is what I would suggest. I don't think one should have their full nail pulled or they risk damage or fungal infection (and those also do not have a good cure rate with antifungals) I remember one other guy having both big toenails pulled off and they grew back horribly when they were normal before too. Minimally invasive I say. If a procedure may be needed go to someone who has the experience and the equipment to do a job you'll not likely regret having elected. Phenol might be OK to kill the nail matrix edge, but I suspect there is less risk in damaging more of the nail than desired and more reproducibility with the laser matrix ablation. That I suppose is a question for someone who has used both extensively.

For those of you who are younger and scared, take it from me, if you've been walking around with shoes pressing down on ingrown nails for years, or if you gasp every time your foot bumps into something, the surgery is worth it! The numbing shots do hurt, but that part only lasted about 30 seconds.

I actually had to go back and get my right one done again today... still worth it. It's been 9 months since the last time I had the surgery done and the left one is coming along fine, but I'd do it every 3 months if I had to, because my feet feel SO much better all the time.

Besides how much better they feel, you also should keep in mind that a persistent infection (even if it's just from ingrown toenails) can be extremely dangerous, and if you don't get it treated there could be serious complications.

Good luck, try not to worry too much over it, and just do it! For me, it felt better immediately after the surgery -- the pressure that I had felt in my toes for years was gone.