I have been going to an aerobics class and change and shower there. One of my big toes is now afflicted by unsightly white damage and much thicker than usual material of the nail itself as well. It smells terrible and doesn't feel all that pleasant either. In short, I believe there's no way this is anything other than nail fungus. 

I want to eliminate this as fast as possible! Can any of you recommend natural treatments for nail fungus, something I can get over the counter to be rid of the symptoms very soon? I want something that really works so please only recommend if you have personal experience and your fungus went away.

You could try:

Tea tree oil - a very powerful natural disinfectant and antibacterial. It helps for a wide range of issues including fungal infections of the skin.

Baking soda and vinegar - yes, just like what you might use if you wanted to clean your toilet naturally. Though they are simple household ingredients, they are very potent and will often get rid of fungal infections on your toes with no issues at all!

Oil of oregano. Also an antifungal with anesthetic properties, just rub it on and see what happens.

Hope that can help you - toe fungal infections are nasty!

A pox on toenail fungi!

I have had them repeatedly probably as I am a swimmer and they really do lead to discomfort not to mention straight out embarrassment. The one tip that worked well for me, though I am not sure how responsible it is, is mixing half bleach half water and soaking your toes in that. You only need to go at it for half a minute to a minute, once every two days until the fungus is gone. It worked for me so I assume it will work for you as well.

Over the counter antifungals, which usually come as liquids, are really quite good at clearing up fungal nail infections. One example of such liquids is efinaconazole. Before you run out and get this though, are you quite sure that the problem you are dealing with is a fungal nail infection? It does not sound that way. Nail injuries are another common alternate possibility. By checking in with your doctor, you are making sure you are self treating for the right problem!

Lamisil, a prescription medication for fungal infections of the toe nail, is much more effective than the over the counter remedies that are available at around 6-18 percent vs 66 percent. If toenail fungus issues are a recurring menace for you, then checking in with your doc and getting a prescription is more than worth it. The prescription med is just that much more effective. You can still expect it to take like three months for the infection to totally clear up though.

Best of luck...

I am 76 now and I first learned about those little buggers setting up housekeeping under my toenails when I was 35. The doctor who told me what it was said there was nothing worth doing about it. He never heard of anyone dying from toenail fungus so "live with it". The doctor I had for the next 35 years until Obamacare put him out of business had basically the same opinion. I asked him many times for Lamisil and he said it was a waste of money as it doesn't always work and even if it does the fungus usually comes back in a short while anyway. I had one toenail clear up completely for about 15 years after it got torn off taking the little critters with it. I mentioned to him many times that it was still clean even though it was living next to neighbors with the infection but he would never give me a prescription even when I had a job where the insurance would have paid for it.

I was in a Pfizer drug study that required the same blood testing you need when taking Lamisil and those doctors said they would give me a prescription for it after the study was over. They didn't! All they gave me was a NOTE to give my doctor saying it was OK now since they didn't want me taking it during the study. I gave it to my RNP at the VA and she wouldn't prescribe Lamisil either for the same reasons all my other doctors refused --- It wasn't worth it because it was not sufficiently effective and a waste of money/resources.

I've tried most of the (expensive I might add) over the counter and mail order stuff with no luck and have often thought about applying a little battery acid. That ought to kill the bassards.

Celebrity
Thanks for sharing that! It sounds like you have a very persistent problem on your hand there. I have noticed a thickening of my nails recently and a white "hue" that makes me wonder if I am looking at toenail fungus here, though there is no pain or itching of any kind so I am not entirely sure. I was thinking, like PP suggested, that I would try with tea tree oil which is a powerful all-round antimicrobial that is also natural and free of side effects other than perhaps a stinging sensation. (I have used this for wound disinfection as well with success.) Have you ever tried anything like that? If so what are your impressions?

Rosie

Let us (me) know if you find something that works. I've tried many things I have read about in various places with no success. I bought a tray to soak my feet in all kinds of different things one was oatmeal I think. I finally gave up but if I hear someone has found something that worked for them I'd probably try again.

Mine are pretty think after so many years of growing and they do hurt if you press on them. They are kind of white with a spongy layer under the nail that looks like a dried up and hardened sponge. The thing the first doctor mentioned to identify it was the dried and flaking skin on the bottom of my feet that comes up the side about a quarter of an inch. That seemed to be the defining feature to him.

On some nails I actually have a blood supply that has grown into the mess which makes it quite uncomfortable if I get into that when trimming as it seems to be alive.

One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread yet that is widely discussed online is... pretty weird. We are talking about Vicks VapoRub here. Vicks VapoRub has many antifungal ingredients, the strongest of which is eucalyptus. Eucalyptus kills fungi pretty effectively but there is also vaseline there, which on the other hand helps fungi grow. You have to make sure your skin is very dry before you apply Vicks VapoRub, from what I have heard. Worth a try, anyway, isn't it?

I actually might be able to help you there! I went to the pedicure with an elderly family member and the pedicurist looked at her nails and said that she had a fungal nail infection. She told my relative not to bother with any of this stuff you get from the chemist but to apply vinegar on the affected nails instead. You must do it daily and it can take about half a year to get rid of it. But the other stuff does not work any faster and might not work at all. So, just go to your local shopping mall or whatever and get yourself some natural vinegar.

As this comes from a professional I am sure that it will work. I hope for you that it won't take half a year though.

Celebrity
You are right that medical professionals recommending something does hold weight, though that doesn't necessarily mean this will work for everyone. I am a big fan of apple cider vinegar in general, for skin and even for weight loss, and I guess you are right that a large amount of patience is required whatever you use (especially judging by the other comments on this thread!) but in general I am struck by the fact that so many people have trouble treating their fungal nail infections. Are those fungi that stubborn? Scary, really.

Rosie

Celebrity
Have you tried with vinegar by any chance, Njoylife? Since nothing really worked well for you, can I ask how you handle your toes now? Do you file them? Do you hide them away from the world, even in summer? I'm torn between natural vs medical here even though I normally opt for natural treatments. The thought that nothing really seems to work baffles me, I have to say, apparently not even the really "potent" prescription stuff. I guess I should only try one treatment at a time rather than throwing lots of different things at the infection at once, in any case.

Rosie

I just wanted to give everyone who may be reading this thread a heads up that there's another thread specifically about the Canesten fungal nail treatment set going on in which one member here is sharing her experiences as she is using the set to try to get rid of her fungal nail infection. I am not sure if this Canesten set qualifies as "natural", but it sure seems to be working, with many people offering positive reviews. Anyone who is suffering from fungal toe nails would probably do well to look into using this set, as it appears to be one of those rare things that works.