I'm a 24 year old female and have been getting random shooting pains under the fingernail on the middle finger of my right hand for the last week. Sometimes it's once a day, sometimes three times, sometimes none at all. I haven't done anything to my hand out of the ordinary. I'm a writer so I type a lot...and I know this can be a symptom of carpal tunnel, but I don't have any other symptoms. I also read this being linked to gallbladder problems but I don't have anything even close to what most people suffering from those issues described.

I recently overhauled my diet and lost 13 pounds in the first two weeks of South Beach. I'm eating more healthy than I have in a while and am also exercising at a proper interval three times a week. All things considered, I'm in better health than I have been in months, which is why this pain concerns me. I've never had the greatest circulation and I'm worried this might be the beginning of something serious. Am I overthinking this?

Thank you!

Did you ever fing out the answer for this problem? I too have been getting sharp pain under my right index fingernail at random intensities and intervals. I have also noticed the skin on my hands has been peeling off and very dry for no apparent reason.

I am currently on the Atkins...another low card diet and I have noticed over the last few weeks a shooting throbong pain under my middle fingernail as well. Is this a fluke? Did yours go away?

I am not on any diet but I have notice the same thing on my index and middle finger for a few days now I think it has been since the day I went in to the hospital for something quiet different I can't seem to remember if I had this before or after I was there but I just know that it has been since have any of you guys figured it out?

I also have that index finger pain under the nail. It is sharp and sometimes if I just bump my finger a little bit the pain feels like it shoots up my arm! The change in weather makes it worse (barometric pressure). I think it is a glomus tumor. Google that.

This has happened to me a few times in the past, on different fingers. It almost feels as though part of the nail is digging into my finger, though I trim it very short to no avail. No visible change to the finger when this happens. I have experienced them from the very side of the nail at the cuticle to underneath the tip of the nail. Pressure causes the pain for me, it is not sporadic.

I used to think it was some sort of infection from the raw foods I was touching on a regular basis as part of my job, despite following proper handwashing procedures. I left that job 7 months ago and just the other day got the pain in a previously unaffected finger which led me to research the condition and I found myself here.

It has always gone away for me, the pain is just a minor annoyance. Not knowing what causes it is a major annoyance.

I hope its nothing serious, as I'm one of the millions of Americans without healthcare, I probably won't be seeing a doctor for a long looooooong time...

Yes, you are correct that the fingernail is related to gallbladder. Your note has the clue of the problem. You can develop gall stones when you lose weight rapidly. Your 'healthy diet' is not so healthy for your condition. You should not lose weight that suddenly, but make changes gradually. Your stones are probably not causing any direct problems--yet--but if you continue what you are doing it might cause problems. For example, you might develop pain in your right upper abdomen, feel bloated etc.

Your post was 2 years ago. Please update your status. I am curious if my assessment is correct or not...

does anyone else have an itchy sensation under thier fingernail/ on it? :-(

I have been having a pain at the base of the fingernail of my ring finger since i was a child. I used to beat it hard with my fist in an attempt to dull the pain back then. It comes and goes and is usually a severe shooting pain. Now if i so much as accidentally knock the nail against an object the resulting pain is almost unbearable. i have been trying to find an answer to this problem for years, and i hope i can get some here.

Hi Oatmeal

I been having exactly same problem for last few years now. Third fingernail on left hand hurts if i squeeze it at bottom slightly yet if i catch it or trap it as you say it's an excruciating pain that lasts 30 seconds or more and incpacitates me ! Absolute agony.

This is first time an internet search has found anything for anyone experiencing similar.

Have no idea what it is ??

Dear Oatmeal and marktko,

I have been experiencing the same fingernail pain you described . Mine is the right pinkie. Doctors have squeezed and probed til I was in terrible pain, but never offered a diagnosis. Thanks to the posting on this site on 6/5/09 by an anonymous person who used the term "glomus tumor" I was able to get that diagnosis today. I saw an orthopedic surgeon and am scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks. I understand there will be a recovery time (3-4 weeks), but after that---no pain. Yea!!!!

Glomus tumors are benign and rare, so do your research on all the symptoms. There is even an at-home test you can do yourself. My pinkie has a slightly raised ridge running through the nail. When I apply pressure with a pin on the side of the ridge, there is no pain. When pressure is applied directly on top of the ridge, there is sharp pain.

I hope this helps. I was so relieved today just to get a diagnosis. If you like, I will post info on my surgery and recovery. Good luck in your search for your answers and thanks again to "anonymous 6/5/09".

hello - thanks for posting this !

I been reading some now about these and beginning to think this could be what I have. Howwver there are no visible signs on my fingernail as described in most web definitions of them. I honestly thought it was just a trapped nerve I had for several years on end !

My pain is at the base of the nail on my third finger of left hand.

Have read somewhere it usually hurst too in cold water but this is not the case either ?? Is it with you ? All I know is that it hurts like hell when knocked !

Please keep me posted on your surgery and progress - will you have your fingernail removed ??

Thanks again for info

I have this same pain as described by Linda. Was wondering if she ever had the surgery and if pain was gone. I honestly think I would just want them to take my finger off it hurts so bad. Its winter now and every single time I walk outside (even with 2 pairs of gloves on, it is so intense pain I cant take it anymore. It wakes me up 2 to 3 times at night. I went today for MRI to see about glomus tumor. Just wondered what results were.

Thanks so much for this thread!!! OMG, I have had this pain for 10-15 years now, been so long that I can't remember when I have not had it. It is at the outer edge of the base of the thumbnail and gets better and worse with the season (but is always there at some level). And hurts excruciatingly if I hit my thumb just so. My regular doc has always resorted to "try soaking it in peroxide 3 times a day", which has not helped at all. I think I am going to find me a hand surgeon and get diagnosed for glomus tumor. I am very certain this is what ails me.

I've had the same EXACT pain as marktko and linda and it hurts so bad I can't even type-- the only thing is that it isn't cold sensitive. The pain started about a week ago... does it get worse? Was anyone's pain not sensitive to the cold in the beginning (if you remember)? Thanks