Hello, my 14 yr old daughter noticed her 2nd toe beside the big toe on each feet was the color of purple & a bit swollen, we took her to the Doc. After an xray was preformed, the Doc's reply was to wear socks...as her feet maybe cold???

My daughter is active in a sport, she still sees the purplish color on those toes & they do hurt when touched, she has had this symptom for the past week only. As far as I know none of my family members have this symptom. Not sure what to do?

Has it gone away, or have you found out what is wrong? Please respond-my feet are doing the exact same thing.

Thank you for your post & actually it comes and goes, she might not have any symptoms for at least 3 weeks then the symptoms show again. Doc said it was due to feet being cold..and maybe poor circulation but thats all he said?. So my daughter and I still dont know what to think.

Please see a rheumatologist...........they will do testing and diagnose the problem.

I went to the doctor today for the same problem. I stay in Muskegon,MI. It's been very cold. My feet not only hurt off and on but they also were itching very badly. He told me to get soem itch cream and come back in a few weeks if it dowesn't get better. He said to wear termal socks!

What did you find out about the purple toes. My daughter is 10 and started about a year ago with one purple toe, now all of them turn purple and get swollen. It comes and goes. Dr. took test for rhuematoid arthritis and diabetes, both came back negative. She is active in tumbling so we thought maybe from that, but her teacher has never heard of it. Any thoughts?

I came in here searching for answers as to why my 8 year olds toe (now 2 toes) swell periodically and is purple. Her ped. suggested x-rays for possible arthritis but after reading posts, I'm not wasting my time. It use to be her middle toe and now it's that one plus her big toe on the other side. She does say they hurt a little when rubbed. They look aweful when they are swollen and the middle toe looks double in size. There is no cause to this happening and it goes down at times. I really hope someone knows of this.

I am a female athlete (age 25), and I've had the same purple-toe problem for years... the pain and itching always come during the winter time and while I'm playing a sport.
My doctor told me that it was a common fungal infection that affects athletes because of dampness in shoes/socks. I change my socks frequently and slather an over the counter anti-fungal foot-cream on my feet before bed and it is usually gone within a few days.
I would try that... and think about getting another doctor:)

Hello, my baby toe on one foot has been swollen and really red and tender for about a week now. i don't recall doing anything to hurt it, and it hurts to wear shoes because it is twice it's normal size. I saw a podiatrist who told me it was from pressure from shoes, but all weekend I've been off my feet and wearing socks only, problem not getting better. I thought maybe chillblains, but the toe is not itchy , it feels like there is fluid beneath the skin. does anyone think they know what this is? is it an infection also???

My daughter has this symptom, also. It is not a fungal infection, in her case at least. She was diagnosed with Reynaud's Syndrome. The swelling comes with rapid temperature change, usually from cold to hot. Keeping her feet warm helps the discomfort/swelling. Also, when she comes in from outside and her feet are cold, we warm them slowly. She doesn't put them in warm water, or put on slippers until they are less cold. Best advice, keep them warm at all times. ..it isn't circulation related, at least in my daughter's case.

i am training for a half marathon. because of some other problems, i put arch supports inside my running shoes. the arch supports cause more pressure on my toes when jogging for long periods of time (or long distances). today i jogged 16 miles. when i removed my shoes and socks, i saw three small blisters on the inside of my left big toe adjacent to the second toe. also, my entire toe nail has a purple hue and my toe is swollen. i can feel the pressure on my toe nail, it feels like my toe nail is ready to pop off.

it seems to me that the added pressure on my toes from the arch support combined with the 3 hours / 16 miles of jogging has resulted in a lot of broken blood vessels underneath the toe nail area causing the swelling and purple hue.

i suspect anyone active in sports which cause a lot of pressure or force exerted on the toes could cause blood vessels to rupture with the resulting swelling and puple hue under the toe nails.

just my $0.02.

My toe is purple too.
What do I do?

I think most of the people with this problem have chilblains. I've had "purple winter toe" for years and doctors have been puzzled. One of the posts here mentioned chilblains so I decided to look that up. Check out the chilblains photos on line; I think you'll say, "Yes! That's my toe, and those are my symptoms."

yeah im 17 and ive had that problem. like my toe is still kinda dark. i bought new shoes when that happened and i was training for basketball 3X a week. i realized my shoes were too tight for my feet so i got a size bigger and the pain stopped. As far as i can see, it is poor blood circulation in the foot caused by tight shoes, especially if they wrap tight around the toes

I am 13 years old and my toe actually got infected and it was my second toe next to the big one. They said it was staff and cyriosis. Well today i went to a deretologist and he noticed my toes are purple, so he suggested to get blood tests done to see if everything in my immune system is allright. I have experienced so much with my toes and it is all on my right foot, if you have any ?s let me know hope i helped.