I have got infection on my toe nail. Few years ago an heavy object fell on my toe and the whole nail had turned black, but I was so scared that I didnt remove the whole nail though it was damaged, but after that I noticed that the nail doesnt grow from the skin, it grow but detached from the skin, what antibiotic should I use to get good toe nail like before.

How long ago did this accident happen? You say, a few years ago, but, how many years exactly? Possible treatment, maybe antibiotics, maybe something else, really depends on how bad the original injury was and how did it heal. Did it hurt when the new toenail grew? Does it hurt now? If it does hurt, is it all the time, or sometimes, maybe when you walk? It’s very unlikely that, unless there is a bacterial infection, you will have any benefit from antibiotics, I think, mainly because it’s unlikely that you have infection for over a year and don’t notice. It’s definitely more likely that your toe, even if it has gotten infected with something, had the more common, fungi infection, in that case antibiotics don’t have any effect at all.

This incident occured about 12 years ago, I didnt approach a doctor with the fear that he would extract the nail and I was not prepared to bear the pain, now I feel that I should have extracted the already bruised nail. As the nail has turned completely reddish brown due to the dead blood and it took about six months for the whole nail to grow back and when the nail grew it was not attached to the flesh. I consulted a skin specialist also, he prescribed allegra and a nail laquer, which didnot help much. I think I was too late to approach the doctor.

Well, one the one hand, it seems like it’s too late now since it hasn’t grown for all these years, but I still think that it should have grown after the injured nail fell off. When I was something like 12 my thumbnail was ripped off by accident, and there was a bit left that I wouldn’t let doctor or anyone to touch, but after ages it grew back. It was somehow curled, but I guess it looks ok now.
But all the doctors aside, have you ever asked someone like nail technician about this? They must now something that can help, they work with nails all day long and see people with different problems.
Allegra is used to treat allergies, it probably had nothing to do with the nail.

Hey Hi,

Sorry I couldnot reply as I was out for few days. You know the toe nails take a very long time to heal. I had visited a skin specialist thats how I have mentioned about the nail laquer and allegra, but then I feel that I have to live with it by painting it...ha ha.