by Owen Anderson. Wow, I'm so guilty. I go water-gatorade every other waterstop. I don't know how else you can get around this mistake unless you carry gels and drink just water. i really can't imagine that you should drink gatorade every water stop. I know when I train, I drink diluted sports drink. I'm thinking maybe I'll go back to what I did for the only marathon that I did not bonk at the end......I drank only water until mile 20....and then I had 4 gels. Any thoughts??? I have to agree with the gel and gatorade. I know once in the late stages I ate a gel and thought I grabbed water and my digestive system was a mess. Most marathon runners mix sports drinks with other things during the race. This is very bad. For example, if you consume a sports drink and water during a marathon, you'll end up with a very dilute solution in your gastrointestinal system; this will slow absorption of carbohydrate and leave you short of energy in the late stages of the race. At the other extreme, if you consume a sports drink and gel during the race, you'll end up with a stomach full of molasses, which will empty into your small intestine slowly, retard absorption of carbohydrate, and increase your chances of ultimately developing a massive case of diarrhea. You should consume a sports drink -- and nothing else -- during the race. It may be comforting to know that sports drinks can ward off dehydration just as effectively as water does, and that the sports drinks will leave you less likely to become hyponatremic.

I'm still gagging over the 4 gels at once at mile 20. :puke:

I think everyone is different. I can do straight gatorade while training, but during a marathon, I have been the recipient of some very undiluted offerings :puke: (after the really concentrated lemon/lime in NY, I still can't drink a margarita :squint: ) I have had the best luck doing water at every stop, with gels at roughly 6, 12, and 18 miles and carrying a salt packet if I felt I needed it.

I have a very sensitive stomach and getting the fluids and nutrition down is the worst part of running a marathon for me.

Sue, did you really eat 4 gels at once? It took me two years to work up the nerve to try even one.

I start off with switching between water & gatorade. After the 13mi mark, I'll start doing whatever I have a taste for at that time. If it's 3 waters in a row, so be it.

I'm a believer in listening to your body and figuring out what IT is asking for instead of following a prerace plan.

I think everyone is different. I can do straight gatorade while training, but during a marathon, I have been the recipient of some very undiluted offerings :puke: (after the really concentrated lemon/lime in NY, I still can't drink a margarita :squint: ) I have had the best luck doing water at every stop, with gels at roughly 6, 12, and 18 miles and carrying a salt packet if I felt I needed it. I have a very sensitive stomach and getting the fluids and nutrition down is the worst part of running a marathon for me. Sue, did you really eat 4 gels at once? It took me two years to work up the nerve to try even one.
no...it took me two miles to get them down. I figured I carried them all that way, I was going to use them. I had a burst of energy at mile 23.---fastest splits of the race were 24,25,26. Those are normally my "shuffle" miles. I'm scared of shuffling, it's my biggest fear. I don't think I can subject myself to that state. (yes, I'm in taper mode and thinking about this)

I am going to experiment with the electrolyte capsules this training season. My gi tract does not like Gatorade at all-it's almost instant potty stop for me if I imbibe it.

I've had good luck with my own foods on runs-dried pineapple, jelly beans, better than the gels.

I drank gatorade during the marathon that I ran last year and nothing else...had a good race until I cramped up in mile 25 or so...someone told me that was because of too much sports drink...

Tummy troubles and nausea often result from (a) too much simple sugar and/or (b) ingesting too many calories.

Electrolyte requirements can vary by 1000% between individuals, but most of us can only assimilate around 250 calories per hour, give or take.

The issue i have with drink supplied on courses is that you don't know how its been mixed so you can't estimate the calories or electrolytes you are consuming, not to mention whether it is sugary stuff. And if you dump simple sugars on top of a load of complex carbs you can also come to grief.

So I prefer to be self contained for fuelling, just picking water up off the course. I use electrolyte capsules and carry gels for my shorter events or a liquid endurance fuel for my long ones - all Hammer products of course :D . But then I'm a slow tri geek so i'm used to carrying stuff :P .