Im preparing for my first long cycle ride and Id like to know what to drink during it. I know that water is necessary but I also know that there are various energy drinks but I dont know which ones are good and how much of those I should drink during the race and after it. The race will be during the day and I suppose itll be hot, so help me choose the most appropriate drinks. Thanks.

Hello. Be prepared for an exhausting but exciting adventure. Its necessary to plan what youll drink and eat very carefully. You should start with a special dieting regime a few days before the race in order to balance your system. Your meals should be rich in carbs but low in fat. This is so called carbohydrate loading and it helps your muscles be prepared for physical effort. Make sure that pasta is a regular meal once a day. As for the drinks, youre right about the water. Its important to keep the proper electrolyte levels during the race and that is achieved by taking energy drinks. But you should not over-hydrate yourself. There are isotonic and hypotonic drinks that you can prepare yourself. Many cyclists like energy gels.