Any regular gel users here? I'm relatively new to them-never used them for my long runs or other workouts but I figured sooner or later as my long runs get longer (2 hours +), Ill definitely need some sort of fuel to keep me going. I just got a couple of packets from the store just to try during my long runs. Any good/bad experiences using them? Or do you still prefer gatorade?

I used Clif Shot and Gu.

I liked Gu better, as I could buy them in a variety pack, where with the Clif Shot you had to buy on flavor (when you bought in bulk)

vanilla GU in this cold weather is kinda' good!!!!

Never tried them. Do they really make a noticeable difference in energy? It seems like your body would store enough fuel for a 3 hour run. Past that, I don't know... what do you think?

i've been using power gels on anything longer than 8 miles. it may just be imagined, but i think they help me get thru the final few miles.

Cool, just bought a vanilla GU...gonna use that for my next long run...

:1:
Except I don't use them until I break about the 15 mile barrier on my runs.

I noticed that too..when I get close to the 15 mile mark at over 2 hours, I started to fatigue quite a bit.. I'm generally ok w/o any additional fuel until I get over 2 hours of running

Caveman runner here... nada on the gels. The couple times I tried with some freebies, they did nothing for me. I guess after 25 years of running, my body has gotten used to running on just water or gatorade on long runs.

It's been awhile since I came across this tidbit, but the 'average' marathoner theoretically has the energy (carbs & fat) to run 3 to 4 marathons each time they toe the line.

I won't out and out say gels aren't important. If you train with them and get used to the short lived boost, it's definitely something you'll want to continue come marathon day. Or if you again, need a little something tangible to get you over a rough patch, again the gel could do it. Personally though, I believe the pros outweigh the cons in 'training' your body to let the mind take over through those rough patches and go with the 'intangible' boost. Bottomline though is you're going to run deep your energy stores and a gel is largely psychological since it's impossible to even make much of a dent in how fast a runner expends calories versus possibly taking them in.

And lastly, I'm just a plain o' minimalist runner. Carrying anything extra or having to plan things outside of just putting one foot in front of the other seems to get me out of my groove. :shrug:

ClifShot chocolate only, preferably cold and not body temp. After much experimentation I've discovered that one around mile 9 in a half marathon and one every hour in training for 15M+ runs works for me.

Love vanilla Gu. Recently enjoyed Vanilla Clif shots. mmmmmmmmm They both taste like frosting.

Has anyone tried Sharkies? They are electrolyte-enhanced little gummy candies.

Shelf documented my first experience with gels! :LOL:

RB gave me one, and now I'm hooked. They work. A little pick-me-up when I'm running. :wavey: