I`m 42 and recently I have experienced some bad, sharp abdominal pain. I went to see my doctor and all of my test result are normal. But, they have found some kind of a mass on my right kidney and told me that I probably have a kidney cyst. Went for a second opinion and was told that it`s not some simple cyst. What could that be? I fear of cancer.

Hi. I had a kidney cyst and your mass on the right kidney could be just that. Simple cysts are present in some 30% of older adults. They are common anatomical abnormalities and they won`t develop into cancer. If your physician recommend a kidney surgery, you must know that, in most cases, the risk of surgery is greater than the benefit of removing the problem. Kidney cysts are not something to worry about, but you should go for a third opinion.

Hi Ashmead
I hope it worked out for you.
I'm a similar age, 43, and have no risk factors for cancer (non-smoker, very light drinker, no hereditary illnesses, normal weight, physically active) - and up to 2 months ago, fighting fit. Then I started waking up in the night with my flanks aching - just sitting up for a few minutes made it subside, and during the day i had no symptoms at all. I went to a Chiropractor first, thinking it to be postural etc, and then went I started being aware of it during the day, I went to the doctor. Ultrasound revealed a 12cm mass, and I'm now waiting for my CT appointment - hopefully a matter of days for that - to find out what it is. As I'm otherwise healthy I'm hoping its simply a matter of extracting the kidney and that's the end of the matter.