Hi. My Mom was recently diagnosed with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. I`ve found out that PKD is a genetic disorder characterized by the growth of cysts in your kidneys. Those cysts are filled with some fluid. However, would like to know more about autosomal dominant PKD.

Hi. Polycystic kidney disease have 2 hereditary forms, autosomal dominant and autosomal recessive form. Autosomal dominant PKD is the most common inherited disorder. If one parent has the disease, you have a 50%chance of getting it. Many people with that disease live for many years without any symptoms. The cure for autosomal dominant PKD is not available, but, to comfort you, the treatment can ease the symptoms and prolong your Mom`s life. There are over-the-counter meds (aspirin and tylenol) and sometimes surgery is needed to shrink cysts in order to relive the pain and flanks. However, it`s only a temporary relief.