Hi, insomniac here with some experience in taking meds. At first I did practically nothing but trying to fall asleep on my own. Then, the sleeping problem has defeated me, and me, being a nature-man for my whole life, now had to try some meds. I used Melatonin for a while, but then I heard about valerian. So I quite taking Melatonin and started using valerian root. The only thing better than ALMOST nontoxic Melatonin is non-toxic at all valerian!

Hi, I prefer nature also, but in this case of valerian vs Melatonin must say that valerian, although very helpful in people with insomnia, also have side effects, just like any med you take. Those side effects include vivid dreams and a high dose of valerian can cause blurred vision, excitability, and changes in heart rhythm. Also, the effects of valerian could be highly increased if used with standard sedatives. Besides, Melatonin is well known as the natural remedy for insomnia and is classified as a dietary supplement (not as a drug). High doses of Melatonin have been associated with mental impairment, headaches and nightmares.