hihi... new in here...

i'm a 51 yr old lady who has undergone menopause and have fits. I haven't been able to sleep well for the last few years. I feel rather anxious and find it difficult to fall asleep. Each time i see a doctor, he/she prescribes ferritin and hormone pills for me but i dun like taking these medications. I am rather sensitive towards hormone pills.

R there any ways for me to relax n sleep better without taking any forms of medications? Or perhaps, shld i c a psychologist?

Thanks for reading...

Health Advisor
I know what you are talking about as I am experiencing the same as you, I’ve entered my menopause a few months ago and I am still new to all this, I’ve been experiencing various menopausal symptoms and at first I was extremely anxious and upset because I had never felt like this before but now it seems like I am slowly getting used to it, what is the most important- without any medications and hormone replacement therapies. Some of my friend said it would be better for me to take some medications but I am refusing to start some therapy as I consider menopause as a natural thing and would like it to pass naturally, and I just hope I won’t have any major problems.
At nights I also have hot flashes and insomnia and I just don’t know how to survive the night sometimes, that can make me upset sometimes so I take these Valerian drops, have you heard of them? These really make me a bit relaxed and then I can finally catch some sleep.
If this would make you calmer, you actually could have a chat with a psychologist, maybe you will get a few useful tips how to survive such moments. I just don’t know how to help you other than with these drops. However, I wish you a good luck!

Thanks for replying...

btw... how did u get ur Valerian drops?
through a doctor or over the counter?

Health Advisor
A friend recommended these. I bought them over the counter in a pharmacy. I have just remembered that they are used mostly in Europe, so I am not sure if you would find them on the American market (or wherever you come from).
It could be also used in capsules or tea, but the tea has an unpleasant odor, so I would avoid it.

Valerian drops are not a prescription drug, it is a herb actually and the government doesn’t strictly regulate herbal supplements.

Valerain root is used in many over the counter sleeping products, so you could ask in a pharmacy if they could suggest you the best brand with the fewest number of side effects.

I haven’t had any problems with it but I read that it could cause headache, insomnia or vivid dreams but it shouldn’t if used in moderation.

It does not only help with insomnia but it also has soothing effects since it influences CNS and can help ease stress and anxiety.

Valerain drops shouldn’t be taken for longer than a month. I have been using them for a month, then I stopped and I only use them occasionally now. (I have ran out though). It is said that they could cause withdrawal effects if taken for longer than a month and that a person could develop tolerance, so be careful with it if you manage to find it. Good luck!

By the way, I hear many women appreciate acupuncture!

sorry for the late late reply...

thank you very much for ur help and information...
all the best to u too... ;-)