I have been under a lot of pressure at work, and all of this has turned me into an insomniac! I never thought that I would be affected by lack of sleep, as I am normally someone who sleeps very well and very long. I love to sleep in. As I am more and more sleep deprived, I noticed that I am starting to feel depressed and aggressive. I looked it all up on a forum for insomniacs, and they say these are very common side effects of a lack of sleep. What can I do now?

I guess that you could consider taking sleeping tablets in the short term, if this is really causing you so much stress. I think that trouble sleeping often gets worse because you are making yourself more anxious about sleeping when you have been unable to sleep, and so you will have even more trouble in going to sleep! Sometimes, medication can quickly break this cycle.

My mom is in an old peoples' home and like a lot of old people, she seems to suffer from insomnia. When I mentioned it to the doctor, he prescribed a pill that helped her get to sleep. Initially it worked, but after a couple of weeks it didn't seem to do much for her any more. But I discovered pills called melatonin. It is a body identical substance that you can take before you go to sleep. Since my mom started taking these tablets, she has been sleeping like a baby. I must admit that she had the odd night out where she finds it hard to go to sleep, but that hardly seems to happen any more.