I have not had my period in 5 months and I have been on hypothyroid medication for one month. I was spotting lightly, but didn't have an actual period. Will my period come back?

Yes, sure. An underactive thyroid can cause certain problems with your menstrual period. This is nothing weird since your thyroid helps control your menstrual cycle and it is an indicator how your menstrual cycle will behave. So, too much or too little thyroid hormone can make your periods very light, heavy, or irregular. Well, in your case, you basically lost your period for a while and that condition is called amenorrhea. A lot of ladies believe that they are pregnant, but they are not. I suggest you visit your doctor and your gynecologist in order to figure out which way is the best to solve this problem. 

I am hypothyroid and have always had my period every single month with a normal flow, except when I got pregnant at 19. Short story long, I misscaried. But then continued to have normal month to month cycles. March 17, 2008 was the first day of my last period! I am 22yrs old now & married, and have had slight lower back cramping, and for 2-3 days I spotted very very lightly. (No where near enough to use a pad). Now, still I have lower back cramping, like you do when you are about to have your cycle, but no flow and no spotting. It could be stress, it could be your hormones -- I recommend getting your thyroid levels checked & then heading towards an OB/GYN. I took an at home pregnancy test (or several I should say) and it was a negative result. I made an appt. to go get a blood test since the first time I was pregnant, the at home test came out negative eventhough I was. Let me ask you this, are your cycles regular? Month to month? Since I am going on May 2, 2008.. I will keep you posted on what the results are and what might the possibilities be if I am not pregnant. But don't wait around, get an appointment for yourself ok! Take Care Sweety..

Hi - i was just reading your reply, and wondering if you were pregnant after all? Thanks.

be careful with what appears to be a miscarriage, could be ectopic pregnancy which can be very dangerous. women with excessive bleeding or an apparent miscarriage should make sure their health provider verifies they're not still pregnant (i think that's done with hormone tests?)

hellp...I am 42 and havent had a period for almost over a year...I was off meds for a while and back on meds for low thyriod...I have been back on meds and still going every 6 weeks to get back to normal levels.. But recently notice a slight spoting f my period..But very very light period.Is this a sign my meds are on the right route to be working properly in my body????