Hi. I’m 17 years old and I’m wondering why is my menstrual blood sometimes brown, not red as it should be? Is this something serious??? Thanks

First you must learn that menstrual flow isn't just blood. Actually, it is the mixture of discarded cells from the uterine lining, mucus, bacteria and blood. The fluid is usually red colored but it is not unusual not to be such. It usually tends to be brightest red when your flow is heaviest and as your flow slows it first becomes dark red, then brown and finally, in some cases, even black. So, there’s nothing to worry about – everything is ok with your health.

I am 24 years old and I have 3 children. My 3rd child was born by C-section so I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not but I have been haveing normal periods that last anywhere from 3-5 days then I stop and start back a week later what I call the "BLACK PERIOD". It usually lasts about 2 weeks and it is brown to black colored. Today is a little different. I just got off my period a couple of days ago and then all of a sudden today it's like it started all over again...it was very heavy, thin, slimy, kinda clumpy, bright to medium red in color. Should I be worry of a condition?

I also am finally getting back my period after my third and it has been a weekly cycle with alot of the 'black blood'. but there were some of other things bothering me (moodiness, fatigue, weight gain) and I went to the doc's and had some blood work done and it turns out that I have hypothyroidism. My periods haven't normalized yet..but maybe you should have your thyriod checked. Apparently hypothyroidism is quite common.

Butterflychick, I just read that you are hypothyroid after having your child. Please do not let them prescribe synthroid YET. I have been taking synthroid since 2001 and last week I saw an endocrinologist and he said that it is normal and it's called post-partum thyroiditis. It should correct itself within 6 months. I was on synthroid immediately after having my first child and now I have been diagnosed with hyper/graves disease. Just a warning out to all of you, don't let your doctor put you on synthroid immediately, your blood test should be done every month with the antibodies showing free T3 and free T4. It should go back to normal. It's unfortunate because now I'm on tapazole and just waiting to see if my thyroid will normalize.

Hello, I've been taking birth control and i've had my period for 5 days and it was dark brown... there wasn't any regular coloured blood... my boyfriend and i are very worried... could i actually be pregnant?

to Sammiiee, if you have been taking birth control, there's really not much of a chance AT ALL that you are pregnant, unless you missed a day or something. 

The fact that menstrual fluid came out on the days you were supposed to have your period means that you are not pregnant. Menstrual fluid does not need to be red, and it's not unhealthy if it isn't; nor does it mean you are pregnant. 

I would recommend using two forms of contraception btw, just to be more safe than sorry.

No worries, if you had menstrual fluid, you aren't pregnant :)