I am 35 and have 2 children. The youngest is 9 months old. Since I had him I have been having sharp stomach (not in the abdomen near uterus) pain during and after eating. This only occurs while I am having my period. It is the worst during the first few days of the period. It has been very bad the past 4 months. So bad I feel nausea and need to lay down. I even stayed out of work once (I never do this). I have not really had normal uterus period pain during my periods just this stomach pain. THe bleeding has also been heavier than usual. Also I have had spotting during days 10 - 14 during these cycleh. I have never had spotting at all during my cycles. Not even with my pregnancies. What could be the cause of this pain and spotting?

Hi there.

It actually depends on what type of pain you feel. You can feel so - called generalized abdominal pain that actually can occur in more than one part of your abdomen. When it comes to this pain, it is usually caused by indigestion, gas, or even because of some bacterial infection. This type of pain can occur during the menstrual cycle if you become bloated or there is a blockage in the intestines.Especially when you are eating. It is nothing to be scared. 

It is sometimes normal to feel stomach pain during your period and you can  feel it when you have period symptoms.

I have had this same problem. For years. I have endometriosis, I don't know if it's related. Can we perhaps email each other?  

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

My stomach pain during my period has been so bad at times that I have considered going to the emergency room. It feels like I have a huge rock in my stomach. I can't stand up straight and if I go from lying down to sitting I feel like someone has kicked me in my stomach.

The pain is not abdominal near my reproductive organs, it is definitely in the stomach. A friend suggested this could be hormonal. My NP put me on YAZ but I had to stop taking it after a week because of the EXTREME fatigue. I would like to try something natural to see if it could help.

Can anyone suggest any natural remedies for hormonal issues?

Hi, Can't believe I found this on the internet as I just started having the exact same problem. Does anyone have a proper diagnosis? What did it end up being in your case?

Thanks.

I have this problem too! I have been trying different things to combat it. I was getting both a horrible never ending uterine cramp, along with a sharp pain in the stomach. I changed my blood pressure medication, that did not effect it. (this problem seemed to have onset at the same time I started that medicine) I also had an internal and external ultrasound that revealed nothing- everything was normal, no tumors or endo issues.

Last month I started a steady regime of Soy milk, one cup a day, and this month the uterine cramp has not developed. I still have the sharp pain, which feels like a knife in the stomach. I spoke to my ob/gyn who said he could not explain the pain but thought that stopping my cycle might solve the problem, no cycle, no pain. He recommended either an IUD or birth control pills to prevent my cycle. I was hoping the addition of the soy milk would work, it did not fully solve the problem, but I am going to give it one more month. If that doesn't stop this pain, I will go on the pill to stop my cycle.

Its ridiculously debilitating. I have always had very normal periods and this just started for no apparent reason. I can't stand up straight because my stomach is hard and painful to touch. It is totally timed with my cycle. I find it so odd that there is no information out there to explain what is happening and why I have this problem.

Anyone have any other advice?

Thanks!

Wow, I thought it was just me! I have been having this the first three days of my period for the last year or so.

Any suggestions as to what it is and how to combat it? No history of endometriosis...

I am 36 and have been having these same pains on and off for about 2 years. My doctor said I was pre-menopausal and that is is all caused by a hormone imbalance. His advice was to go on birth control. I have not. I don't think it is healthy for a woman my age or any age for that matter. I am hoping to find a natural cure if anyone else has discovered anything. I have been taking a remedy from a homeopath but it doesn't appear to be helping. I also find everything makes me feel gassy and bloated. It hurts my stomach just to drink water. Sometimes it feels like I am sitting on a knife. Other times I feel like I am in labour. Also, for me my period is always more painful when I hardly bleed at all.

I am 35 and I also suffer from sharp pain in stomach and burning in belly with nausea off and on. nausea is usually at it's worst during ovulation. This stuff only happens from ovulation thru to period. I've read lots about hormonal imbalances and everything suggests lack of progesterone. The natural way to add progesterone is through cream. I suggest all women who feel this way to urge their doctors to test their progesterone levels. I'll be getting mine done on Nov 20th. Good Luck to all woman who suffer from this miserable hormone hell.

I've been told this is due to the prostiglandins being released by your uterus causing it to cramp and expel the lining, but these hormones also "leak" to nearby organs causing them to cramp as well (intestines, stomach) So this could be what you're experiencing.

hi! I always just thought it was part and parcel of having a period as I have always experienced period pain mostly only after eating... i think the lady is right for cases, its probably mainly becos muscles are already tensed up and stressed and probably has a bit of a domino effect

Hey ladies....

Since the day I started my first period, it has always been very heavy and long (sometimes up to 8 days with spotting for 15) but regular in that it always does this and never changes.

I would also get extremely debilitating cramps in the uterus that got worse when I ate or had to go #2. I also got the sharpest pains in my uterus that felt like they went shooting down my birth canal but they always just ended up being gas. Not to mention, these stomach pains that get worse with eating as well, and start about a day into my period and last the whole time. Making it difficult to stand up straight. Exactly like what everyone else described. Even taking medicine would sometimes make the cramps go away a little bit but not the stomach pains, it was just a matter of waiting it out.

For years I just thought that since it's always been this way, this is always how its going to be, and that it was not necessarily unhealthy or anything. The cramps would sometimes start even a week before my period and I would always know when I was getting it.

I never even bothered talking to a doctor about it because I knew I would get suggestions such as taking the pill or other medications, and I do not agree with it. I don't even like taking light pain killers like Aleeve but I would only do it when I got my period because the pain was so bad.

During my freshman year of college I decided to try a vegan diet (for health and animal rights reasons). A month into it, I got my period with no warning signs what so ever. It came at the right time but I didn't even realize it because I didn't have cramps the week before it actually started. In fact I didn't have cramps the entire period....AND it only lasted about 3-4 days instead of 7-8, and with barely any spotting at all after it was over. Every period I got while on a vegan diet for 2 years was like this. Totally pleasant. I barely even noticed it.

I decided to experiment a little bit. I was loving the diet but I wanted to know if it was the real reason why my period changed so much. I started eating dairy again. I started right after a period so I knew I would have about a month to consume dairy before I got the next period. When I got it...the cramps came back and it lasted for over a week long. At that time I decided that it actually was the change in the diet.

Eating vegan is the best alternative to taking medicine for it. In my opinion anyway. I felt healthier, and the change in my menstrual cycle was like night and day. I seriously recommend trying it. I know you might be thinking "but I can't give up cheese". But seriously...even just try it for a little while. I think the hormones that are in dairy products really effect womens bodies. We get too much estrogen when we eat yogurt and drink milk every day. Plus, these days they are so many alternatives to dairy products, its kind of silly to make excuses. If you knew it would make you feel better, and there would be no bad side effects, you're crazy not to give it a try.

If anyone has any questions about the diet or about anything I mentioned please feel free to ask. I can hook you up with great alternatives to foods that you like and don't want to give up.

Good luck!

I am having this problem as i write this. Im having my period and i dont have cramps but my whole entire stomach hurts. I hurts to the touch, It hurts he worst when i move around. I feel like i have a huge bruise in my stomach or something. It also hurts when food or drink goes down. I have had this before when i was younger in my early 20's and even went to E.R. and my doctor. Had ultrasounds and never got an answer to what is. I havent had it in years now all of the sudden its back. im going to the gyno today, i cant take it. Hope i can get an answer.

I have had the same thing for the past year with my period. I have described it the same way, like my insides are bruised. It hurts to move lay down and stand up straight. It feels best if i am bent over. It starts the second day of my period and lasts 3 days. If anyone finds out what this is I would love to know if it is treatable.

I have this problem too! It's amazing to hear so many other women describe it so accurately! First, I would recommend this reading to anyone with these symptoms - www.mayoclinic.com - search menorrhagia, adenomyosis, endometriosis and irritable bowel syndrome. I'm thinking mine is probably a combination of adenomyosis and IBS. When I first had these symptoms a couple years ago, my blood tests, physical exam and pelvic ultrasound all came back normal. My OBGYN put me on a cocktail of meds - muscle relaxer, pain reliever and antacid - and I only got partial relief?@#$%? Birth control pills did help alot, but I did get a blood clot and so I am now not considering those as an option. My most successful treatment to date has been to take two ibprofen every 6 hours (WITH FOOD) from a day or two before I start my period through the heavy bleeding days. I also try to eat smaller meals and more easily digestible foods. www.helpforibs.com has good ideas for food do's and dont's. I would strongly recommend that you see a doctor and rule out anything more serious. Out of curiosity, does anyone else with these symtoms have a tilted uterus or has had their appendix rupture ?(some of my reading has led me to question if these are related somehow) Best of luck in finding your own relief!