I am 46 years old and had a thyroidectomy due to enlarged thyroid. I have not had a period since 12-3-07 today is 1-24-08. I took a urine pregnancy test which came back negative. Can I possibly be pregnant or am I going through menopause?

Hi Mitchell,

Two months without period sure might point out for pregnancy, but if the test showed negative, I think that you are not pregnant. However, there is always a small chance that the test is wrong. So wait for several days and take a test again.

I think that the main reason for not having your period is a hormonal issue. You took out your thyroid and the hormones went all crazy now and it is messing with your menstrual cycle. My suggestion would be to wait a little more, and if there is no change in anything visit a doctor and let him make a few hormonal tests. Just to see if everything is functioning properly in your body.

I 3 or 4 have hypothyroid and I don't remember having a period in december but in janurary I had a very light period and it was off and on and I also have pregancy syptoms like boobs swollenand nipples are very sore,very tired,have to use the bathroom alot,gain a little weight.I didn't get my period in febuary but I have some brown discharge and I have taken 3 or 4 pregancy test and they are negative,I also have some adominal cramps,and a little quesy.I don't know if I am doing the urine test rightI went to the docters febuary 1st and took a blood test and it was negative but the docter wanted to take a ultrasound but I didn't have insurance and no money cause my husband has no job right now.I need help?any answers?