I had my Copper IUD inserted in the year 2003. Now it's in its 6-year and I'm noticing that my discharges smell really bad that I have become uncomfortable to function properly with people around me, worried that they might notice it. I have read some posts here and I noticed that mostly, foul discharge odor is what Mirena IUD does. Mine is Copper. But is it possible that this smelly discharge is caused by Copper IUD too? I have also noticed something like menstrual cramp even if I'm not nearing my menstrual period yet. What could possibly be the problem?

Hi:
Hi: It sound like the IUD might be dislodged, which would need to be treated immediately. I don't believe that any IUD device would produce an odor such that people around you might smell an odor. This could not be an expectation. How long was your IUD supposed to be useful? Combine all of this with the cramping and I think you have a problem. The odor alone is reason to see someone immediately. I hope that you will get to a doctor and get answers soon. If you have an infection, and the odor is a result of that, you'd certainly want to get to the doctor so that you will not complicate your future health.

The discharge that you are experiencing is probably caused by the copper IUD. I know that it's not very common but it can happen, so it is something for you to go see your doctor about to take care of this as soon as possible. I can tell you for a fact that it will not get better so it is best to get treatment on it as soon as possible. I hope that things go well for you and I'm sure that they will because this should be treated quickly and the removal of the IUD will help. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi:
What have you learned about the discharge? Was there a problem with the copper IUD. If so, does it have to be replaced or can it be adjusted? I hope that you have answers and that your symptoms have disappeared by now. If it was a problem with the IUD, have you decided to use something different? I'd like to hear about what you've decided and how you are doing now. Please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

I would ask your dr to check & see if u have cyst or endometriosis... I cramped everyday for 8mths straight. I had to have laprascopic surgery. Just a thought!