After hearing horror stories about Mirena, I wanted to share my experience with ParaGuard, which is a copper IUD that has no hormones (the copper acts as a spermacide). I have been extremely pleased with this product. Insertion was somewhat painful, but the sharp pain lasted only 3 seconds. (I have a low pain tolerance.) I went back to work right after the procedure. I had cramping throughout the day and into the night. The next day I felt great. Before the IUD, my periods were pretty light and lasted about 3-4 days. With ParaGuard, they last 5 days and are heavy enough for me to use tampons, but not overly heavy. My periods are regular. Getting the IUD taken out was not painful at all. If you are having a bad experience with Mirena, you may want to consider ParaGuard.

Hi there, I have not heard very good stuff about copper only IUDs. Can anyone else post on their experiences with this and let me know how it went for you? Thanks!

i would not advise any woman to get a copper IUD.
while your doctor may tell you there are no side effects, there are serious side effects. many women, myself included, have gained weight, suffered from acne they never had before, pains in the abdomen and etc. like myself, most doctors will tell you that should not happen. the reality outweighs anything your doctor or manufacturer may claim.
like many women, including myself, when i complained about pain in my abdomen and constantly feeling like i had to go, a urine sample was taken to check for urinary track infection. of course it came back negative- no infection. but the pain and bloating and weight gain continued. in spite of exercise and carefully watched diet - including eliminating salt and etc.
low and behold, after much internet research, copper IUD allergy can in fact cause urge to urinate frequently along with bloating and etc. the only way to get rid of this side effect is removal of the device.
the fact and truth is, the medical world, including the manufacturer, have no idea what causes the copper IUD to work - other than to state it inflames the uterine lining. doesn't sound like such a safe thing after all now does it? it creates such a toxic environment inside of a woman her own eggs will most likely be killed long before fertilization. and this is supposed to be safe?
the notion that creating a toxic environment inside of a woman is somehow safe for her would be laughable if it were not for the fact that the medical community accepts this and then refuses to listen when a woman states she is gaining weight, getting acne, feeling bloated and etc. and etc. and she is told the copper IUD would not cause that.
and the analogy to a penny - if a doctor tries to pull this one on you - tell the doctor: pennies are 2.5% copper. the ONLY copper part of a penny is the very very thin miniscule plating on it. the rest of it is zinc. so the penny analogy is a load of bull. if you can touch a penny it does not mean that putting a piece of copper inside of you is in any way safe. think of how copper oxidizes in the elements - do you think your insides are any different than a rainy afternoon? of course the copper is oxidizing in there. it is what it does!
this does not even get into the one side effect they will tell you about - more bleeding and cramps. more bleeding - try 20 pads a day bleeding - bleeding through extra super tampons and soaking a pad in one hour heavy bleeding. periods lasting 10 days bleeding and perhaps spotting in between. and this is supposed to be a better option?
don't do it.

I previously had the Mirena and did not have a period for 2.5 years kept all the weight and had stabbing pains so I switched to Paraguard. I have a question? I have had my Paraguard for a lil over a year and now, and I have the worst acne and cramps of my life. I really don't want to get the IUD taken out again after paying so much for it. I was wondering how to correct the side effect besides removal?

i have to agree with you 100 percent!!. I have tried the Mirena and Copper IUD. Scheduling an appt to have the copper IUD removed today. bloating, cramping, frequent urine, heavier periods, weight gain, ache.... I am done.

Guest wrote:

don't do it.

I totally Agree I had it removed 6 days and Lost 6 lbs!!! I tried everything to lose weight with the IUD in and could not lose one pound!!!! Im so happy its out im no longer bloated or in pain and I can lose weight again!!!!

I've gained a little weight since having the copper IUD in, but I'm also about 80 pounds over weight since having my second child.  I've been working on eating healthier and exercising, but nothing is changing.  I have not had acne, but lots of abdominal pain when I ovulate and at the very beginning of my period.  Instead of my period lasting maybe 5 days, now I have 10-14 day periods.  I've also had eczema that will NOT go away.  It flares up again and again if I don't stay on top of it with lots of lotion and cortisone cream but has never really gone away.  I have only had eczema one time before this in my life and it was a side effect of a medication I was taking.  I wash my hands just as much with my first child as with my second and we live in the same place (we haven't changed from a humid to a dry climate or anything).  If the comment above is right about the lining of the uterus being inflamed maybe eczema is my body's  immune response to the inflammation in my uterus.  I've also had unexplained swelling at times and then it will go away.  It's something that is just weird, it's not something I'm worried enough about to go to the doctor.  It makes sense to me that the swelling could be another reaction my body has to inflammation in my uterus.  I think I'm going to get my copper IUD taken out.  You really do have to be your own advocate when it comes to the medical community.  I absolutely believe in intuition.  We all have a connection with our body and have insight into what's going on with it even if we can't explain how we know something is wrong.

Guest wrote:

I understand that you may have a good experience with the paragaurd iud, however I don't think you should advise people to try it based on your experience. Personally I have paragaurd and I am having it removed, I have gained weight, I have migranes, suffer from insomnia, severe stomach cramps. I also regret this method of contraceptive because I don't believe it is healthy to have a metal in your body

Just want to share my para guard horror story that started today. I went to get it removed today after having it in for 10 years and it was supposed to be simple. Well, aside from the weight gain, heavy and long periods, the acne and cramping, today while being removed, it broke inside! The doc tried to find it and couldn't. Meanwhile, I lay there for 40 minutes of pain while the doc used me as a real life game of operation. Now I have to get an mri so they can find it and go for a procedure to remove the missing piece.

WOW!!!! 6LBS i can't wait to take mine out.

Everyone is different, it was worth the try for me to see if the Paraguard would work. I gained weight on the Mirana iud and could prove it, lost 6lbs in 6 days after removing and did nothing different. I wanted the closest thing to perm bc I could get. But the Paraguard is miserable! :( my cramps are beyond horrible, the bleeding is so bad that I go through a super tampon and pad EVERY hour for a couple days. Length is about 5-7. And I have gained more weight since I had the baby. It's been 5 months since I got the iud and its only gotten worse not better. I cramp in between with what feels like ovary spasms, I bleed in between etc. the only good thing was that my sex drive didn't disappear, but you can't do that bleeding all the time anyway. Not worth it for me. And FYI, this is my 4th child and was in a bikini with the other 3. I've had plenty of experience with other birth controls and my body and after babies. I'm swollen and in alot of pain from this copper iud. And yes my doctors tell me it's not possible and have asked me if I take ibruprofen for the pain? Really? Ridiculous that we aren't being listened too about this product. I'm getting mine removed soon. If anyone knows another "perm" type birth control they suggest let me know.

A followup after having my copper IUD removed a few weeks ago. Yea, my period is back to normal - 5 days, virtually no cramping, hallelujah. My eczema is getting better, no new flare ups and it's not spreading anymore. No more unusual swelling. No weight loss yet, but I tend to hold onto weight long after I have a baby. No more pain in my abdomen. Things are looking good.

I HAD the copper IUD (paraguard). I had been on the ortho cyclen pill for 10 years and was fine on it, but decided I wanted to get off hormones, so I decided to get the IUD.

Insertion was EXTREMELY painful… perhaps because I have not had children. The pain lasted for a a few days but with advil and a hot water bottle, it was manageable. I experienced that same pain for the first few days of every period, which was longer (7 full days) and much heavier, than when I was on the pill.

But this I could manage…. until about two months after the insertion, extreme and painful acne developed EVERYWHERE (back, neck, chest, face, head). It got progressively worse for about 3 months before it started to get better. But only slightly. It balanced out to a frequent, continual, never waivering uprising of deep-rooted acne, even where I had never experienced any type of blemish (jawline, neck, cheeks, temples). And not only that but my skin changed completely – it was extremely dry (always been moist before) and my color was gone… leaving my skin looking a bit grey.

My doctors told me that my IUD could not be causing this acne or the skin tone change and that either I had developed adult acne (because I didnt have much in my teenage years before getting on birth control) and that the pill had been keeping my skin clear.

So I believed them and i tried everything to address the acne short of getting on accutane.  But I finally had enough after 11 months and thought i would rather get back on birth control pills than live like this. I had the IUD removed and within a DAY my skin had improved – the small bumps were disappearing, my skin tone was better, and some of the moistness returned. Within TWO WEEKS it was almost perfect again. And NO, I did not get back on birth control... nor do I plan to now. And no, nothing else changed in my life… in fact there was more stress and less sleep during this time. 

This was a cause and effect scenario… not a coincidence. While the IUD is great for many people, it was not for me. 

I wanted to post my experiences on the copper IUD.

I was on the pill for birth control for seven years and I found it had no serious side effects-aside from a small amount of weight gain. I just hated the fact that I was putting hormones into my system everyday so eventually came off. Looking for a long-term, hormone free alternative I decided to go for the copper IUD. The insertion was slightly painful, but nothing unbearable and I went straight back into the office after. For a month I was really happy with it, thinking it suited my body. I loved the idea of being off hormone based contraception and my periods were only slightly heavier.

However, within one month I had a massive nodule grow on my thyroid and was told I had Hashimoto disease (although this does not run in my family).  I also started suffering from eczema on my face (something I never had before). I also stared to have a really low immune system and was constantly off work for being ill—whether sore throats, colds, cramps etc…I am 26 years old and was very healthy, always active and am slim and take really good care of my diet.  I felt completely down and had no idea what changed in me within only a few months. I had not changed my lifestyle or my diet.

To make matters worse I started to develop acne on my face and back. I had mild acne as a teen and have been completely free for years. But now every day I am fighting to control my skin. It is making me seriously miserable. I have spent a fortune on beauty products but know that it is coming from within. I have a constant onslaught of acne and it is having a serious impact on my work and social life. I just want to crawl into a ball and hibernate.

I just want to thank everyone that has commented on the side effects of this particular IUD.  My doctor has told me there are NO side effects from this coil-except the unlikely possibility of perforation of the womb. But I completely disagree with this. I am taking it out today and will keep you posted on my progress.

I am thankful that I am not crazy. I have had my copper IUD for 4 months and the first few went fine asside from some heavy bleeding, which I figured was worth it for no hormones. Two weeks ago I started to feel like I had a urinary infection, and immediately starting treating it. The abdominal pain got worse and so did the bleeding to the point that I figured out it wasnt blood in my urine. I was bleeding vaginally. By the time I got into the doctor, I had been on antibiotics for a couple days and so the test came back negative. Since then I have had some hit or miss ab pain. Today is bad...

I am seriosuly considering removing this IUD now seeing that there are others having similar circumstances.

Star-are you feeling better?