I'm a 35 yr old wife and mommy to three kids. Have had the Paragard for a year now. A few months ago I noticed an unusually high amount of discharge and an odor that is terribly unpleasant. I've seen two doctors and was tested AGAIN today. We believe it to be Bacterial Vaginosis. They checked for STD's, too, just to be sure. My first STD tests all came back negative.

I was given anti-biotics to treat this problem but it NEVER went away. I'm going on three months straight of this AWFUL smell and discharge. I can't take it anymore so I will more than likely have the Paragard removed. I have to take 14 days worth of anti-biotics so we shall see. The BAD cramps and bleeding in the beginning are nothing compared to this on-going problem of a yellowish smelly discharge. Yuck! If you're considering Paragard, you should know that this likely to happen. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I am a clean person when it comes to personal gygiene so this is a really hard thing for me to cope with.

One last note to add ~ I have read and have had the experience.... the odor is WORSE shortly after intercourse and during menstruation. YUCK-O!!!! :- (

Thank you for your courage to post your experience with the Paragard IUD. I feel so much better to know that someone else is experiencing the EXACT same thing. My story mimics yours identically in terms of the problems. I have no children, but I am 38 and had to get off of birth control pills after developing superficial thrombophlebitis (blood clot) in my calf. After seeing a hematologist/oncologist and undergoing a battery of tests, I have no clotting disorders or any other medical conditions. As a result, the clot was likely due to the birth control pills and being almost 39 years old; so I had to choose another option. This was difficult, as I have been very happy with my birth control pills. I chose to go with Paragard due to the absence of hormones (which I no longer can take due to the risks of clotting again), and I have also found it to be a great form of birth control except for one major problem: I too have the EXACT problem with continual discharge and foul odor. I also have had a complete work-up to rule out STD's, yeast infections, and bacterial vaginosis (all test continue to be negative). As with your situation, mine is also the worst immediately after intercourse and during menstruation. I have an appointment this week with my gynecologist, and I am strongly considering having the IUD removed. I too, am very hygenic, and pride myself on being clean 'down there'. I have NEVER had any problems like this EVER! It is very difficult to deal with this. I should purchase stock in Vagisil cleansing wipes and powder due to my ongoing use of both products to stay clean-smelling and dry. My regular doctor said that he has many patients who have complained of the same thing, and many of them have to wear mini pads daily throughout the month due to the discharge. Yuck-O is right!!! :-(

I thought i was just having a issue...THANK GOD i'm not the only one. I recently went to my moms and she was talking to me about my sister, she has the 5 yr IUD...and she was telling me about her having a stink issuie and i said OMG me too, that i am making sure i'm cleaning my self several times to make sure i'm "clean". that is when it isnt just me...and so i just searched and OMG I plan on gettin prego in teh next 6-8 mths anyways, I think i'm just gonna get it removed now...and see what happens...thank you all!!

I have had my paragard for about a month now and absolutely love it. Let me first say that I was terrified to get it becuse of all the horror stories i had read online. Eventually I just decided to take the plunge and am SO happy that I did. Quick history: I chose the paragard because I had been on the pill for 10 years and wanted my body to be off of hormones completely. I am in a committed relationship but have never had kids or been pregnant.
Now for the IUD details: The actual procedure was pretty uncomfortable but nowhere near as bad as I had expected it to be. There were 2 instances of sharp painful cramping which lasted just a second or two each. Even though it was fun, I was incredibly relieved at how easy and quick it was. when the doctor told me that it was in I said, "that was it?!". My boyfriend met me at the doctor's office to drive me home, but I actually felt pretty good- just a little shakey, and ended up driving myself home. About 30 minutes after the procedure I started having horrible cramps. I felt awful. All I could do was curl up on my bed. I got a thermacare heating pad which helped alot. The pain was really bad for about an hour and a half and then it kind of plateaued. I was still in pain and very uncomfortable but it became managable, I could walk around, eat etc. This level of pain lasted throughout the night. The next day was significantly better. I kept taking advil and could feel it but it I was able to go to work and tolerate the pain. I got the IUD inserted on the last day of my period (because this is when your cervix is the most open) and I spotted a little the day I got it and the day after, but no bleeding after that (although I did have moderately heavy discharge for the first week, but that has totally cleared up). The third day I barely knew anything had happened. I would say that I was 100% by day 4 or 5. Since then I have felt absolutely nothing. I just got my first period with the IUD and I feel GREAT! I know that people say that paragard gives them worse cramps heavier bleeding etc but that has NOT been my experience. I usually have mild to medium cramps with my period, but with this I don't feel anything. I feel 100% normal- not a single cramp, no bloating etc. The flow is very light too. I'm only going through 1 or 2 regular tampons a day.
I know that everyone has differnt experiences with their IUDs but I just wanted to share mine. I was SO scared to get it in the first place but I just want everyone to know that it is possible to have positive experience. There are so many horror stories out there, and I'm sure that they are true, but there are also good ones too! I'm so so so glad that I got mine and I hope my story can help others.

Well it seems you are one of the lucky ones :-)
Although from majority of the stories I have read, the women have either had children or have been pregnant hence the reason their periods are very heavy & with painful cramps while with Paragard Iud but man oh man would I love to be in your shoes haha.
Thanks so much for your story :-D

So glad I found this forum... I am 32 years old have had the Paraguard since September 2010.  I have tried to keep it, but the discharge and odor are becoming increasingly more unbearable.  It's not daily, but often enough to be EXTREMELY annoying.  What I have tried and it works most of the time is to blow dry the area and using Vagisil powder after taking a shower and it usually helps for most of the day.  Doing this is the only reason I've been able to keep it in this long, but I don't think I'm going to last another 3 years which was my plan. 

I am so glad to have found this. I went to the doctor terrified that I had caught an STD, all tests came back normal, but I knew something wasn't right. I had the paragard for probably 6 months before the increased, smelly discharge started happening. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one now, but I'm not sure if just a little over a year into it if I want to have it removed and go back to the pill :-( 

I have had the paragard for 3 years now and love it. My cycles are heavy but shorter. I am having spotting 2 -3 days prior to my cycle, that often includes a dark brown pasty discharge that often transitions to clots. I am not having the odor or cramping problem that other paragard users described - but plan to make sure I mention the spotting and clots to my gym on my next visit.

WOW! Next month makes one year that I have had the Paragard.  The last two months have been AWFUL.  No matter how many times a day I clean myself, there is still a nast foul odor, I hate it! I have bought vaginal shower gel, powder, wipes ... you name it and it only last a little while.  When I go for my yearly exam I will be discussing with my Dr. the removal process.  This has to go, I never experienced this taking the pill.  I am glad you ladies had the courage to share!

Found this thread because I have the same issue. Girls, thanks for voicing your experiences out, it's a relief that mine is not a unique case.

In my research, it's possible that this could be what they call COPPER IMBALANCE.
Anyway, I've had my IUD copper for two years now and since I got it I have experienced the following:
-sharp pains during sex
-diminished sex drive
-depression
-weight gain
-lower back pains
-outrageously long and intense menstruation (I used to just use a few tampons during the first three days when my cycle starts but after I got the IUD I've had to wear a tampon and a thick pad at the same time and change every hour for 5-6 days!)

And more recently, this brown discharge that's so foul smelling and I've never come across this in all my 29 years until two months ago.
At first I thought, from my google research it could be "old blood" but I've since had two menstrual cycles and this discharge and smell has never gone away! It is eternally embarrassing! It is especially worse after having sex, it's as if the penetration (sorry for being so blunt!) digs up all this stuff deep inside that it would ooze out - so nasty! Like some of you here, I now have to wear pantiliners but have the need to come home and shower for the second half of the day. I am so done with this, the only culprit I can point out is the COPPER IUD! Simply because of the many women using the same contraception are complaining about the same problems.

If you wish to communicate with me more about this please contact me at gkkards (at) gmail (dot) com

I am getting mine removed today. Despite the safety from getting pregnant which it delivers very well, there are just too many CONS for having it and it's just not worth it.

I am reliefed that I'm not the only one with the discharge/odor smell. I got my Paragard put in im Feb &have had it for only 4 months & I noticed the smell/discharge about 2 weeks ago, I feel the need to constantly wash because I feel so gross. I have loved the Paragard up until the odor/discharge. Now I am discovering other options. Has anyone got answers from drs?

I cannot begin to express my appreciation to the starter of this post. I am 22 and have 2 kids. I had the paragard put in 7 months ago and I too am experiencing this extreme discharge. Thankfully no smell is associated with it, but Its very embarrassing i agree!! I have even resorted to not having sex simply because everytime we finish there is that brown-ish/pink-ish discharge everywhere. I have been tested as well for everything and all test come back negative. It is just so annoying havin to wipe and wipe and wipe and WIPE. Thanks for the stories i will be getting it removed soon.

Hey, I just had my paraguard inserted on monday, june 18th. I'm 40y/o, step mother of 6. My hubby & I tried 2 have a child 3 years ago, but I miscarried. So, we decided to wait. I've beem on seasonale birth control, and even tried the nuva ring. Both are hormonal types of bc. I could not take them, so I got the paraguard. No bleeding after insertion, but I've been having either a brown pasty discharge or a bit of bright red spotting. It's been 3 days since insertion, & I'm still having pain.

Ok.ladies...Im starting to think that the IUD is trapping the remaining fluids from our cycle from coming out completely...having sex after you go off helps...also.try telling ur male not to let off inside u...it helps..

I have had my paraguard for almost a year now and I too have slimy discharge but mine only comes out when I pee. Sometimes it does bother me because I feel super wet and fella like I have a badder problem or something but it is nothing to worry about doctor says its normal my question is now.... Why! Why do we have it.