I have a problem that I have seen on websites and my symptons seem to go right along with Diverticulitus. When I read some of the entries from people suffering it seemed to be me. The past year or so I have had an extreme overwhelming just about gagging body odor. I have had so many visits to my gynocologist thinking it was related to that area. Tests, biopsies, etc. I have been to my general pract. way more than I can count and eventually changed Dr's due to I did not feel at all he was taking me seriously and feel the same about the new Dr. He did not do much with the exception of asking me if people have complained. I've never had someone be so direct to say something but they do not have to. I can tell by their body language alone. People hold their fingers to their nose while talking to me. I do EVERYTHING to get out of meetings and stand away from people. This has gotten so bad and embarressing that I actually catch myself thinking what I would write to my son, mom, dad, etc in a goodbye letter. I cannot deal with this anymore. My GP has ran so many tests on me looking for something to attribute this to. He then sent me to a ENT spec and all tests are coming back normal. The only thing they are finding is my blood pressure. Last time it was 158/110. I'll be going on med's for it soon but that's all I am getting!! I'm not imagining this and it is very serious and the Dr's don't seem to think so. I have discharge from my rectom, I was going to the gyno due to I thought that was related there, it's not. I'm 35 and my Mom advised me to look up the disease Diverticulitus. I do not match all the symptons that is listed on the internet ; the constipation, absolute severe odor, tired, etc is the main symptons. I need someone to please help me figure this out...

There is a disease called Fish Odor Syndrome or scientifically trimethylaminuria. It is very rare and therefore very hard to diagnose and be recognized.

It could be hereditary genetic disorder and it has something to do with metabolism ( or gastrointestinal tract) like you suggested it could be in your case. Even if anybody in your family had it, you may get it or you may get it if you previously suffered from liver or kidney disease.
People who suffer from this disease are unable to metabolize trimethylamine, compound derived from the food that has a strong odor of rotting fish. Trimethylamine then builds up in the body and causes foul odor. In small amounts it smells garbage-like and in large amounts-it smells fishy. Some people have it all the time while others suffer from it from time to time.
What made me think about the fish odor syndrome is that you reported high blood pressure and thoughts about suicide that often appear in this kind of disorders.
The only way to reduce the smell is avoid foods that may contribute to it. Choline is found in eggs, liver, meats, dark green vegetables and it contributes to the smell as well as foods that contain trimethylamine-oxide. Eating foods that contain little of these compounds should reduce your problem if not eliminate it.
Talk to your doctor about it and ask if they could measure the levels of trimethylamine in your urine.

I too am 35 and suffering the same symptoms. I've seen a naturopath in regards to Canadida and the detoxifications have helped me. However, I still have this foul odor that that as you put it makes you gag. And because my Dr has not seen me when this happens, doesn't know what it is. This odour is 'very' embarrassing and 'i know' that people can smell it by their body language when they are around me.

Have you discovered yet what it is? I have been thinking about going for Colon Hydrotherapy or back to my naturopath with your post and info from another site that describes this odour as coming from the colon.

I'm at a loss as to what to do or how to help myself. I've been for lab tests when the odour is 'there' and evidently everything was normal as I didn't receive a call back from the Dr. office.

I have felt like I'm the only one that has ever gone through this, so relieved to hear that I'm not some strange case.

I am 35 and also suffer with these symptoms.

I've never seen this post until now and am wondering if you have found out anything new about this.

I am suffering from the same and am frustrated that I haven't been able to help myself, or find someone who can help me.

Have you discovered anything new?

I agree, this is a very embarrassing 'thing'...I say that because I don't know what it is or how to treat it. I've been treating it as candida. I know the detoxifications have helped but there is still this odor. I'm debating whether to go for colon hydrotherapy.

Very frustrated,
Jodie

I wanted to mention that it makes me feel at least to some extent nice that I am not a freak to be feeling like the way I do. I thought this 'foul fecal smell' that I can smell myself and was sure other people can smell too is too strange. I have constipation as well as heartburn. I talked to one physician and in my case this is what he said.

Since I have constipation- this bad fecal smell is in my intestines. Uptil now this smell would be pushed to the stomach but be locked till there alone. But now- since I have acid reflux - what is happening is that there is fermentation in the stomach and the SMELL IS ACTUALLY COMING OUT OF THE MOUTH. The best way to get rid of the smell is getting rid if the source of the smell- the stool in the intestine- but this is not really the most viable idea as ppl with constipation will have some stool present. The second alternative is to get rid of acod reflux disease so the stool is locked inside the instestines or the stomach.

This one doctor finally acknoledge my condition, the rest just said that this is just my feeling.

I feel your pain. I too have been plagued by these systems for the past 7 years. I get the same thing from doctors as well. the smell may stay anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months and come and go through out the year. I too have high blood pressure and is on meds. Watching 20/20 I saw a women with the same systems and it was TMAU. I find that avoiding all beef, pork, Garlic, sweets (Cakes, Cookies etc) and most foods that contain Coline should be avoided!!!!. Also be taking a probiotic by Natreen.com called Healthy Trinity helps to maintain healthy bacteria in the colon and aide in the digestion of all foods.

I am a 22f who just had a baby and knew i had the disease trimethylamine, ever since the pregnancy the odor got worse, so i limited my intake of choline foods which helped out some, but now after the baby it is only getting worse and not better and i do not know why. and i know the embarressment and thoughts that come with this disease. i am trying to find a cure or medication to help reduce the odor, so wish me luck

Hey Di,
Surferdude28 here. Hey. I read your posting about your body odor. I wanted to chat with you abit about that. A couple of the causes of this, can be the results of: Candida Albicans, Heavy Metal Poisoning, TMAU, Anal Fissures or Fistulas or even possibly internal hemorrhoids. One other possibility, could be that have small intestinal bacteria overgrowth or, it could also be related to anal prolapse, anal sphincter weakness or other undiagnosed problems. Um, since I am not a doctor, I cannot properly diagnose you, so as tiring as this is to hear, I would say go to a metabolic doctor and go from there. Most people, when they have undiagnosed body odors, will usually go to a doctor and get their doctor to prescribe to them, the test for TMAU, which is a rare body odor, that causes, you body to smell like fish, feces, burnt rubber, garbage, etc. etc. I have had a body odor myself!! My only problem, is I've had all these tests done and I don't struggle with constipation or internal hemorrhoids and yet, after a bowel movement, I have this fecal like body smell that carries with me, throughout the day! So, believe me when I say, I understand what you are going through!! Mine is more severe, due to the fact that, I cannot wash it off in a shower!! I know my body odor is an internal issue, so I have to get down to the bottom of it right away, as this has put my life on hold for the past 4yrs in total. I would also suggest that, you find out for yourself, how bad on a scale of 1 to 10, your body is and if it can be treated by taking certain supplements like Betaine Hydrochloride, etc, etc. I hope, this gives you some more information and you can go from there. Anytime you need to reach me, feel free to send me a text through here, as it will reply in hotmail address. Thanks. Take care and goodluck. Bye for now.

gas and/or odor is a usually a sign of chronic constipation and bacterial imbalance in the colon. fix your diet.. eat more fiber. been there/done that.

My ex wife always suffered from bad breath and body odor. She also had very irregular bowel movements. Later my daughter was diagnosed with celiacs disease. Her bowel movements were always very foul smelling. When my son suffered from depression and let his healthy diet slip his breath of body odor became very foul smelling. A friend who has irritable bowel syndrome has always had bad breath and body odor.

Since I have become a regular bowel cleanser by fasting and eating more raw food and fibre (and a regular attendee at health retreats), I have discovered that body and breath odor is closely related to good nutrition and bowel health. It is also related to body pH. A more alkaline person smells much better than one who is acidic. Odor also indicates a magnesium deficiency. 

So look to cleaning up your nutrition and bowel health - you will please a lot of people with your swell smell, and probably ward off cancer and other diseases.

not all stool tests are created equal - Genova does good ones.
also, while the tests are supposed to be kept at a regular temperature, it's possible the sample degraded before it was tested.
furthermore, some stool tests are for bacteria, some are for parasites, etc. sometimes a stool test is only checking for one type of microorganism - obviously not the test you want. keep trying!

I seem to have had a discharge of something from my anus, and it smelt terrible. It was the first time I had ever experienced it, and embarrassing enough it was when I was with my girlfriend. I'm only 17 and it only happen once and its been about 5 days now and hasn't happen since. I don't want this to get worse.

I am 35 female and I'm going through the same body odor symptoms too. I have tried going through many detox methods. I have tried a naturepathic doctor and nothing helped. I tried an anti-candida diet and that seemed to help, but very hard to maintain. I just started going to an Ayurveda doctor, so I hope she can help me. I believe it's something to do with my metabolism because the body odor gets stronger just before my period. I also tried juicing some beets, carrots and apples together and that worked for a little while because it cleanses your blood.

I need help for this BO problem.  I bathe everyday and I eat healthy and I use deodorant, but still I can't get rid of this odor.  I have seen doctors for this problem and nothing helps.  I just started seeing this Ayurveda doctor and I am hoping she can help me.  I don't understand my body and just before my period it gets unbelievably strong.  It's so embarrassing to go out in public and I can tell everyone thinks I stink because you can see it on their expressions on their face.  The odor was out of control when I went on this lemon detox cleanse and so my metabolism just went crazy.  Can anyone help me??? Please I'm so desperate I don't want to be like this forever.  I'm so sad and feel like I'm going to die.