Hello, this is my first post...
I have a serious problem.. i'm hoping someone might have some insight. I have had a copper IUD for 6 years now, and have just missed a period. I am usually on time, but this last year, they came every 15-18 days. Now it has been over a month, and no period. I have had nausea every day for over a month now. I took a preg. test last week, and it was negative. I was put on antibiotics and stomach acid reducers hoping the nausea would go away, but it hasn't. I am really nervous. Last November, my doc said my hormones were off. The estrogen is fine. Also i had low potassium- so i eat bananas every day now. She doesn't know what is wrong. She thinks it's either stress or menopause.. I'm 34. Could it be something else? A friend said maybe a cyst on my ovaries? All I know is, my sex drive is now zero, and I feel like I am dying. I have being sick! Has anyone ever had this problem or know what to do? Thank you so much!

I got the IUD inserted last month. I'm 25 and just had my first baby 3 months ago. I feel nauseated and bloated and some cramps. I got my perioed twice this month. I am worried too. I didn't know Nausea was part of the side effect.

Copper IUDs usually cause heavier periods and more frequent periods, rather than less frequent periods. Mirena IUDs can cause periods to stop (without being pregnant) but I've never heard the same happening to anyone with a copper IUD in place. Since you have no period, negative test, you're almost certainly not pregnant. Especially if the doc repeated the test in office. Yet something is clearly wrong. 

Why not go to a sexual health clinic? (They are NOT just for STDs!) They're likely to take you more seriously. You may consider having the IUD removed and trying another option, such as the Mirena or the injection. 

I too have been having problems as of late. I've had the copper IUD for five years now and just these past four months I have been feeling nausea, dizziness and spotting off and on. At first I thought it was due to the change in weather having moved from Alaska to Florida but now the spotting is full bleeding in between periods and the nausea is making me very sick. I'm starting to cramp and feel like my ovaries are wraping around my hip bones! I went in last month for this and the Dr told me it was GAS! I'm going back tomorrow morning and I'm debating on just removing the IUD all together, what do you guys think? I love the IUD but this has to end. Could it be something else or do you think the IUD is to blame?

Hello, I am 42 and have missed a period and then the next both spotted for 5 weeks and finally stopped and again this month no period. I have taken 2 preg tests and blood and all NEG. I can't go by those tests because I had a blood test Neg and doc gave me pills to start my period and that didn't work so they did and ultrasound and low and behold a 14 week old baby was there. I am really concerned that this has happed again. The doc thought it might me my throid and tests came back perfect. I have had the IUD for 8 years and have never missed a period until now. Has anyone else had this problem? I am probally going to have to have a ultrasound to see what is going on. Please respond if you have any advice or similar problems?

Pam

I am not sure what is going on with me. I have had a copper IUD for a year now and I have always had my period every 28 days. I am now over a week and 1/2 late. I am 26 and have two children; I've felt nausea, appetite increase and I feel like I am pregnant. I have also had slight cramping but it reminds me of when you are pregnant and your growing. I have gained about 5 lbs in a month also. I took a pregnancy test and it said negative. I am not sure what is going on. I am never this late unless I am pregnant. I have no insurance and do not qualify for state assistance. I am really freaking out. BEACH???- You actually had a 14 week old pregnancy with a negative pregnancy test? If anyone has advice for me please reply.

I had the same problems, it got to the point that I just about passed out on my feet. My doctor told me that he didn't know what was going on, they took a pregancy test and it came up neg. But I kept having the same symptoms for two months. I asked him if it could be something wrong with my IUD, he checked ut and told me that it looked fine. Two weeks later I coudn't take anymore of the severe cramping and pain, I made an appointment for him to take it out. The cramping went from severe to bearly there at all. I still feel nausea and I have dizzy spells but I think that my IUD was causing the sereve pain in my lower abdomen. I am happy that I did talk to my doctor more about it and had him remove it.

I have had my IUD in for 8 years and this is my second one. I thought I loved it because I got pregnant using everything else. Over the past few years I have become mysteriously ill several times and the docotrs never know why. Low potassium, poor liver function, low iron, jaundice, pancrius sending weird results. It always goes away as suddenly as it comes on. I am removing my IUD on the 10th. I really feel it is the culpret that is making me sick.

Hi there i have had my iud for 2months and never had my period and took a pregancy test and it came back negative also. what should i do..

Hi there

It was really interesting reading your post. I've had a Copper T IUD for the last 5 years now (inserted 8 months after my daughter was born). My Dr advised me to use this as it contains no hormones as I have an under active thyroid (auto-immune) and a hormone imbalance. Unfortunately neither of these problems have been easy to sort out and I had a short spell of being well last July for about 3 months then the compounding changed my thyroid medication (whole thyroid) from a capsule to tablet form and all has gone out of balance again.

The last 8 months or so before each period I bloat quite a bit and nausea seems to be a normal occurance for me. On occasions, even though I have had my periods I have thought I was pregnant as I was displaying all the same symptoms. I can only put this down to hormones.

I have found it very difficultto lose weight. My diet is restricted with being gluten and dairy intolerant and I generally avoid sugar......and I still have problems losing weight!!

I have wondered weither the IUD has played a part in this as mentioned the last 8 months or so I have bloated, felt nauseous and then after my period hs finished felt like I was going to come on again and that sensation stays with me for a week or so after finising!

So, I took the plunge yesterday and had the IUD removed. Totally painless and a very simple proceedure, I was not on my period at the time either so I was surprised.

Since the removal I have felt bloated, have started to lightly bleed (which I understand is normal) and have felt chronic nausea which I am hoping will abate sometime soon!

I'll update this forum again with any improvements etc.

I think sadly the one thing many Dr's don't actually cpmprehend is that our bodies all differ from each other and whilst a % of the norm might be fine with no side effects there are some of us whose bodies are sensitive to certain things who struggle.

At the end of the day you need to listen to your body and stand up for it, atter all, you know it best of all!

Good everyone and I hope we all find the answers we're looking for. :-D

I had a coil fitted around 4-5 months ago. My period is usually on time but now my period is over a week late and i am getting really bad abdominal pain, it's like period pain but worse.
I read on the internet that it can be an eptopic pregnancy and am really worried about it, i am 19 and usually fit and healthy.
If anybody can help me then it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers x x :-)

I have felt so weird since getting my IUD in. I am in nursing school and learn about diseases and always think I have them but know it's just the IUD. I feel nauseous a lot, it takes a while for my pimples (which I hardly had before the IUD) to go away, like 3-4 weeks! I have the heaviest periods, and severe PMS. I had the IUD put in in August. I don't spot anymore, I did for the first 2-3 months always at about 2 weeks prior to my period. I will probably keep the IUD because I can't handle birth control and am not ready for tubal ligation, and dont want anymore kids. I am 28, very healthy, and hate this feeling. I get severe headaches, and my blood tests since getting the copper IUD always show high potassium. I get SO hungry and noticed that I've gained about 6 lbs since insertion that won't really go away. I don't think I'll gain more than that so I'm ok, but just hate all these side effects. I started taking Zinc pills to counteract the copper, and if I took them daily they'd probaly help my skin, but of course I forget every day. Oh, and I also thought I was pregnant all the time because since the IUD my breasts grew also, and I've been a little depressed.
Well ladies, good luck with everything, I don't have any anwswers but felt I could share my experience so people know it's not just them.
Good luck.
P.S. Beach, are you pregnant?

Most IUD's cause your period to stop while it is inserted and the nausea is a side effect. and more than likely the stress from worrying. check out Meraina.com for more info.

I just had my coil removed a couple of days ago, but my period is a week late now, which is unusual cos my periods are always bang on time. Done a preg test and it was negative. I am confused, don't know if it searly days thats why, or because I am simply late - which is not normal.

I too have missed my period. It has been about a month now and still nothing. I had no sickness with my first pregnancy and I have had none so far. I have had negative pregnancy tests but still feel bloated. I dont know what is happening. o.O