Hello! My sister has a child who is autistic. Since there is no one in our family with even similar disorder we were shocked when she told us. The child is four years old and we adore him but my hearts is broken every time I see him. I often talk with my sister about the possible causes. I have recently found out that mercury poisoning can cause autism. Is this possible?

Hello! There are many people who think that mercury poisoning leads to autism but no firm connection has been found so far. Mercury is a toxic metal that can cause immune, neurological and behavioral dysfunctions similar to symptoms associated with autism. It is believed that Thimerosal which is a preservative frequently added to childhood vaccines can caused autism as a major source of mercury in human infants and toddlers.