Hello! My friend has a one year old son. She suspects something is wrong with him since his development goes very slowly. He doesn’t speak at all and he still doesn’t walk. She called me yesterday and told me she would take the boy to his pediatrician. I think he is maybe autistic. Is there any test for autistic children

Hello! There is a Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (CHAT) or the Autism Screening Questionnaire which is usually used when autism is suspected. Your friend’s child is also going to be evaluated and examined for signs that could point to some disorder that doesn’t necessarily need to be autism. An evaluation of autism often includes a complete physical and neurological examination.

Hi there,
Can you be more specific about the development problems? Is her son in any other way ill or does he have any problems with eating food? The thing is that autism is a condition that develops in first three years of life. It affects the brain and the development of social skills along with communicational skills. The fact that her son doesn’t have any verbal communication at this age is not that strange, but by now he should’ve learned at least few words. Do you know if he is overly sensitive to sight or touch maybe? Sometimes kids can express autism in a way where they are sensitive to smell or taste along with hearing problems.
All the best,
Danella