Hi, folks. My friends’ child is autistic. I know how this is difficult for them. I have read something about chelation treatment in an autistic child. Are there any positive outcomes from this? Can my friends hope for something? I would really appreciate if someone knew to answer me this. Thanks.

Hello. I have read something similar also. There are some studies that blame chronic mercury poisoning for autism. Mercury is spread in the nature. The treatment consists of giving chelation agents that treat mercury poisoning. Those are DMPS, DMSA and lipoic acid. Although dimercaprol (BAL) is also used for mercury poisoning, it is not recommended to be used here. There are some improvements. These positive outcomes also depend on age groups. However, these results are too early for a final conclusion. But, they are promising. Your friends should consult an expert.

i am a speech and language pathologist specialising in autism. although there is no known aetiology for autism, one of the effecting factors may be environment and nutrition. Chelation therapy in a nutshell is the removal of heavy metal toxins from the body. Till today we do not have enough proof that heavy metals such as lead and mercury are linked with autism; therefore the conclusion that chelation therapy will help a child with autism can not be reached just yet. But it is importnat to keep up with the latest research in this field.

In the meantime, on a more practical level, there are loads of programs which can be used with people on the autistic spectrum. Always keep in mind that these people are usually VERY VISUAL so your work should revolve around VISUALS.