Hello! My brother’s child occasionally exhibit behaviors disorder. Actually, he seems to be a normal child but since I am a medicine literate I think that he sometimes is behaving like he suffer from some form of autism. I need to know does the term mild autism exist at all. If it does exist I’d like to know what the mild autism would mean. Thank you.

H! I am a mother of a so-called mild autistic child. There is no any specific definition of mild autism but it can be related to some other term- Asperger’s Syndrome (AS) which is a neurobiological disorder. Children with mild autism can show different characteristics. In fact, these children may have a normal or even above-average IQ. The symptoms of mild autism could be a lack of any ability to have a normal conversation or to make friendships with other children. They have a problem to initiate a conversation or to carry on with it, although they may be using adequate language. When playing with toys they may be preoccupied with a particular toy, also when in communication with a group of children they may ignore them. I also need to mention that the important thing for you here is to react on time, in other words child suspected of being autistic or mild autistic whatever needs to get a diagnose and a specific treatment. This treatment should be consisted of speech and language therapy, as of the behavioral modification therapy. Note that such a therapy is of essential importance, it has really helped my child and I suggest to you to start with these precautions as soon as possible.