My 18 month old son has got rough skin on his upper arms, extending into his lower arms somewhat, on both sides. I am suspecting that this is eczema. Of course I'm going to the doctor if nothing clears it up, but I think the usual treatment for eczema is steroid creams and that is not something I want to expose my toddler son to if it can be avoided!

Do you know of natural remedies for toddler eczema, safe for young skin, that really do work? I'd love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences. It is really quite bad in that it itches, he scratches it, and sometimes it even starts bleeding.

Thank you

Concerned mom

Some general tips for infants are to not bathe them too often because the washing dries their skin out further, using a hypoallergenic nurturing lotion in generous amounts, avoiding using harsh soaps, and then there are other things you can do. For instance, food sensitivities are definitely linked to eczema so looking into that is a good thing. Air humidifiers can also help, as dry air further worsens the problem. If you have a pediatrician who won't immediately insist on steroids that is a good thing. If your ped isn't willing to try home remedies first, then perhaps look for another one.

Celebrity

Coconut oil helps a lot of people with eczema, and also has some sun protective benefits to boot! Salt and magnesium spray is another popular remedy for the kind of eczema where the skin has burst open and is bleeding or oozing plasma. Then, bathing with baking soda is very helpful to some.

Finally, you want to work on the problem from the inside out as well, with nutrient rich foods, cod liver oil, kefir, vitamin C in citrus juices, all that kind of thing. See the eczema as a system wide problem rather than something that is only on the skin.

Good luck!

Rosie

Shea Butter, to make it softer whip with coconut oil, Jojoba oil and you can even put a scented oil in there since it does not smell very pleasant.

Honestly, this is not something to play around with. One thing you need to know, for instance, is that eczema is a risk factor for asthma as well.

I know you are worried about steroids, and you have some reason to be, but you still need to check in with your child's pediatrician to get that skin rash that is most probably eczema diagnosed properly. You can't provide the right care unless you know what you are dealing with beyond a shadow of a doubt, can you?

You may want to know that doctors do prescribe steroid-free topical creams and ointments for eczema including pediatric eczema. This is something you can discuss with your pediatrician. Really, eczema is a serious matter and you want to have your pediatrician on your team in dealing with it.

Rosie, Melanin Queen, I hear a lot about coconut oil and its benefits. I have to say my nephew had eczema when he was a tot, like 2 years old, and my sister first tried with some natural creams she got off Boots or somewhere, and when it didn't work and the eczema only got worse, she did get those corticosteroids I think they were, and the eczema cleared right up. He's 7 now my nephew is, and though he still got those weird little dots on his arms that ain't exactly pimples but they're something weird for sure, that nasty bleeding eczema hasn't been in his life since the corticosteroids were all done. My sister still uses this La Roche Posay anti-itch cream which has helped me as well for general hydration purposes. I got tattoos and often get new ones and I like how it hydrates without alcohol, fragrance, or any other dodgy stuff. Something to consider for after, whether that's after natural remedies or after steroids.

I have never had eczema personally but I did read that most types of eczema are caused by underlying food intolerances. If I were you, I would be looking into all kinds of safe elimination diets the best I could, for your child and also for you if you are still breastfeeding.

Calendula oil will be great to work on your baby's skin by moisturizing and soothing it. Chamomile tea is another time tested remedy for any sort of inflamed skin.

I admire you for looking into this yourself rather than just getting a prescription that may not get to the bottom of this. Hopefully you will find something that works for your child.

Celebrity

It's interesting that when you look at the website of the National Eczema Association, they do acknowledge the potential benefits in certain alternative treatments - including coconut oil, which they say has proven antibacterial properties. Probiotics are also mentioned by them. So neither of these are just things that "hippies" are saying for no reason.

They also mention the potential in hypnotherapy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, and acupuncture along with changing your diet. Vitamin D supplements are particularly mentioned and the OP may find that worth exploring. 

Overall, no one treatment will work for every person but they all deserve to be investigated.

Rosie

Hello

OP here. I would like to say a big thank you for taking the time to respond to the post I made. There are lots of tips there.

Of course I try to keep my baby's skin hydrated as best as possible without having it MOIST as such. I just today read that bathing babies with eczema on a daily basis is fine as long as it is dried and then moisturized, so I will be doing that. I had honestly been avoiding bathing him.

Right now, I suspect because weather is warmer, the skin is cracking and sometimes bleeding and my poor boy just keeps on scratching, during his sleep and during the day. He knows I will try to stop him so he tries to hide it from me. He has scabs all over.

I will implement some of your suggestions immediately and if nothing gets better, you are right, it is time for the doctor.

Thanks again

Yeah I think you are right. Run it by your GP, your child's doctor, or whatever. Just discussing it don't mean you have to jump to the worst possible pharmaceutical treatments out there you know? But discussing it sounds like a dandy idea. I'm not sure if you noticed what I said about the La Roche Posay anti itch cream with urea? My sister swore by that and I've since used it myself frequently after getting tattoos not in the healing stage when it's open but after just as it finished peeling after like the 7 day mark. Keeps itching away like a charm and contains no nasty ingredients you wouldn't wanna put on your baby's skin.

OP, are you still reading? If you are, how's it going? Did the eczema get any better and if it did, did you manage by yourself or did you go to the doctor's?

I was just reading that 20 per cent of all infants and toddlers end up with eczema. That's an astonishing number, isn't it? I'm pretty sure that not all of them need steroids. In fact the most common suggested treatment for suspected eczema is bathing the skin regularly and then applying an emollient ointment while the skin is still wet. The last bit's important, because the moisture gets locked in the skin and the eczema rehydrates or something.

I used to have eczema and so did my brother. You could use coconut oil, or sea spray. Make sure to put baking soda in your bath water. If you're worried about your baby you could go to the homeopathic doctor they're very gentle. They could use sulphur or graphite to cure eczema.You could also use yoyoba oil. Remember when you have eczema don't scratch. Once my brother scratched and it just made it worse.

I myself am very skeptical about homeopathy as a whole. I think the diluting things a 1000 times over and pretending that it still works and is actually stronger sounds like a lot of nonsense to me. I agree that homeopathy is gentle, but that is only because it actually does nothing at all.

What is sea spray? Is that like salty water or something? If so I've heard this, that salt can dry the eczema out. That's an interesting idea but I suppose moisturizing it very well become super important after that.

Pickle